Mounted Abrakhan Gaurd (with pictures)

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Mounted Abrakhan Gaurd (with pictures)

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:05 am

I'm wanting to up my cavalry numbers and i had the idea of making a mounted Abrakhan Gaurd. I would use raiders, painted in the same color scheme as the infantry, then convert a golden king model to horse back. I built my Abrakhan Gaurds before the new models came out, so the warriors would match. As far as the profile, I think it would make sense to make the Gaurd a 6 company max, because if they can get 32 infantry, i think they could scrape up 12 cavalry.

please leave feedback on the idea, expecialy any ways to improve it.
Last edited by furyion on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
why fight the enemy when you can just push them back with arrows?

Villager

Re: Mounted Abrakhan Gaurd

Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:42 am

...Will your Abrakhan Guards be the riders, or the ones carrying the riders? Did the Haradrim have Clydesdales? You might even need to steal your mounts from Hobbiton.

Though, if you're using skinny Abrakhan Guards, you won't need to. I would keep things kosher, and keep the max companies to 4, like the infantry. There are no examples in the book of a cavalry formation being able to take more companies than their equivalent infantry formations. Not even Rohan! Of course, it depends more on what your opponent thinks than on what I think. But I would plan to use four companies.

Squire

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:28 am

Good point on the number of companies, I though the kings gaurd for rohan had a different company number for cavalry. And the haradrim didnt have clydesdales as far as i know.

Squire

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:37 am

I've come up with a way to convert the Golden King. I'm going to build a chariot around his throne, and it should fit on a 40mm base.

Villager

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:42 am

Any pictures? :D

Squire

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:54 pm

not yet, i just got anlther golden king in the mail today and im going to make sure it looks good, then i will definately post pics. and im also thinking about building a massive four horse chariot for him and useing the khandish king profile.

Squire

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:39 am

ive got the chariot built already and it looks pretty good, by my standards atleast, im taking pictures as i go so i can upload them later.

one thing that didnt work, it couldnt fit on a 40mm base. so i make an oval base for it and i will supperglue it to a 40mm base so it fits in the movement tray.

sorry i dont have pictures yet.

Standard Bearer

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:21 pm

I look forwards to seeing it.

Istari

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:43 pm

If you are using him just for WOTR (or even if not?) why not just put him and his chariot onto a suitable card or mdf base? I'd be tempted to make the base 2 cavalry bases deep and classify it as 2 cavalry companies. You could easily have markers to placed on to represent casualties.

Squire

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:32 pm

im just using it for war of the ring, and i did make a base out of card, but the chariot isnt big enough for a base that big. its a rectangle that takes up half the movement tray, but would it be a good idea to give the king an extra resillience? i also got the chariot and horse painted, the golden king still needs some work,ill have pictures this weekend.

Next
Return to WOTR Rules Queries