New player with some questions...

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

New player with some questions...

Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:31 pm

Hey guys... just picked up the rulebook for War of The Ring on Thursday, and have been perusing through it and I've come across some questions.

1) What is the "normal" points value that people play at? 1000? 1500? 2000?
2) Are the factions evenly balanced? Not necessarily within sub-factions but Good vs. Evil?
3) I've decided on playing Mordor (I loves me some bad guys). Are there any units which are just garbage?
4) Is there a definite "core" for the army in question?

I plan to delve further into the rules over the course of the next week or so, and I'm sure that most of these questions will get answered by further reading, but knowing some of it in advance will allow me to plan my budget for army-purchases without "wasting" money.

Ranger

Re: New player with some questions...

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:13 am

Hi,

1. Between 1000 and 2000 is usually what people play. 2k becomes much bigger and will require about 2-3 hours often, I'd say 1500 should be the right amount.
2. The game overall is well balanced if you limit magic level to 1 level per 200 points, that should sort most of the balancing issues.
3. Twighlight Ringwraiths seem to be useless, although Everything has its uses at some point, not sure if you can just discard anything straight away.
4. Morannon Orcs, 4-6 companies.

Feel free to ask anything else.
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Villager

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:02 pm

Cool. We're just now starting a group locally, and are beginning with 1000pt. armies. So, it shouldn't be too hard of a transition into the "normal" size for a game.

The other question I had is more about modelling.

How do you represent companies? Most all basic companies come with hand weapons, but I've noticed that some boxed sets don't include basic hand weapons (Mordor Orcs in particular) but instead contain troops with bows, two-handed weapons, and sword+shield. Do you just use the box as-is and consider them as having hand-weapons and then use purely archers or sword+shield models for upgraded companies?

Ranger

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:26 pm

It depends, it's up to the players to decide. Normally people usually allow you to have front rank modelled properly (like Orc with shield) and the back rank not necessarily the same (Orc with spear). Rule is as long as your opponent is fine with it and knows what you have exactly (ie. there's no confusion) then anything goes.
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Squire

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:48 pm

and btw spears count as hand weapons, but the rest are different, although most people don't mind if you put them together. Just check to be sure like Blackmist said.
For great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods.
1 Chronicles 16:25

Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
Deuteronomy 6:5

Return to WOTR Rules Queries