Formation Size

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Formation Size

Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:57 am

I am trying to gauge about how many companies a formation should have. I know the larger the formation the more hits it can take of course, but in the course of play is it better to have smaller formations to be able maneuver better? I am working on a Dol Amroth army and leaning towards making my foot formations four companies big. this seems to me to give me some weight and take some hits as well as still be able to maneuver them around. Anyone with more playing time have any input or adivce?

Squire

Re: Formation Size

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:10 am

Normally When I got to make a formation I need do know its role on the battle field archers you want in 2-4 companies, shock troopers 3-4, or if you want manouverability go 1-2. If you need something to soak up hits go big(meat shield :lol: ).
I prefer big companies because If my heroes need to be moved they'll be safer.
"Don't tell the elf"- Gimli
"Not a word"- Aragorn

Standard Bearer

Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:15 pm

4-6 is usually a good number,

although for archers i find 2-3 is better :)
Mark, Warlord of Ipswich
i have bad spelling bad spelling

Vajeeta! what does the the scouter say about his power levels!
ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Villager

Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:26 pm

I would agree with 2-3 companies of archers. Just to ensure you get a line of sight with each company and full attacks when shooting.

But I don't think maneuverability is such an issue anymore with large formations ever since the FAQ was released and you can about-face for free.

Villager

Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:34 am

6+ companies do have manoeuvrability problems when facing enemies on their flanks. Bizarrely, since the FAQ, a unit directly to the rear is an easier problem to counter than one on the flank!!!

Ranger

Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:00 pm

6+ for Goblins, 3-4 for Dwarves/Elves, 1-2 for archers, 4-6 for everything else imo.
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Villager

Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:06 pm

heinzp wrote:6+ companies do have manoeuvrability problems when facing enemies on their flanks. Bizarrely, since the FAQ, a unit directly to the rear is an easier problem to counter than one on the flank!!!

I don't see how...

Even if you have enemy formations close enough to halve your movement, you should still have enough to turn 90 degrees and face either flank.

Return to WOTR Rules Queries