Black dart question

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Black dart question

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:12 am

Says hero loses d3-2 might (to a minimum of 1). Now the highest you can roll on a d3 is 3, and 3 - 2 = 1. So do i really have to roll the d3 since I am always going to just have the minimum and maximum which is 1 point of might?
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Ranger

Re: Black dart question

Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:40 am

Well, you'll always get 1, so there's no need, unless you're being picky about it.
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Villager

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:47 pm

According to the FAQ, you could always use a point of Might to raise the score to 2 or 3. Likewise with the roll for hits caused.

Squire

Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:36 am

heinzp wrote:According to the FAQ, you could always use a point of Might to raise the score to 2 or 3. Likewise with the roll for hits caused.

Oooh, deady witch-king kill coming up. :twisted:

Squire

Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:32 am

I always thought of this as decreasing the result of the dice roll by -2. Therefore it is possible to get above 1 might taken. Example: on a roll of a 5, subtract 2 which makes it 3 and then cut it in half (since its a D3) which would make it take 2 might instead. My guess has always been that the designers only wanted to prevent you from taking 3 might, not give you the option to only take 1 might

Standard Bearer

Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:01 pm

According to GW a d3 is as real as a d6, therefore you cannot raise a d3 above 3. Might is used to influence the die roll, so you can use might to make your d3 roll of 2 into a 3 then subtract the 2 to give you 1. either way the answer is 1 . I think they wrote it that way for clarifacation since on a roll of 6 you subtract d3-1 might. I think they just wanted to word both of them the same. so on a roll of 1 nothing, 2-5 you lose 1 might, on a 6 you can potentialy take 2 might.

Did you know that there are 30 pictures in the WOTR rulebook of battles without move trays (SBG style). Proves that models look better when they can be moved as you want them (including surrounding and wedge formations) and it may shed light on why there are so many problems with the rules, even the designers were confused as to which game they were making.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Return to WOTR Rules Queries