WotR - 1000 points & cheap move trays

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Re: WotR - 1000 points & cheap move trays

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:36 pm

Thanks chris, I actually dropped the stalkers, the easterlings, and shaman, drummer, and a couple captains. and since we are upping the points, there are three trolls, a block of orcs, mordor uruks (shagrats tower guard), black guards, morgul knights, and two nazgul (dark marshal and khamul) and my morannon formations, plus a block of wargs.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Standard Bearer

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:39 pm

instead of 1 shaman take kardush, exactly the same points, but has a higher mastery level
, epic hero (enough said) and epic actions including the all great epic ruination + he has
spells of ruin people would argue that its the best spell list,
also you could swap enougher with the mouth of sauron
just look at him and look at the shaman, you will see.....
Mark, Warlord of Ipswich
i have bad spelling bad spelling

Vajeeta! what does the the scouter say about his power levels!
ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squire

Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:39 pm

Hmm... Interesting, in my experience, the first game I used an ent, he was killed in the first turn getting only 3 casualties in the entire game. IMO, monsters aren't quite reliable enough, as an average roll on the hard to kill table from a formation with a captain can easily kill it in one turn.

Standard Bearer

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:14 pm

my second battle in WotR went much better (winning two battles). I took 2 trolls and the necromancer. by keeping the trolls with the necromancer and trying my best to always move 2nd, I managed to destroy alot of the oposition and attack flanks or rear almost every turn with the trio. The trolls would be safe because moving second allowed me to get out of the front arc of the nearest dangerous enemy (cav usually) and the necromancer could just move through them. then during the charge phase the enemy would either have to charge some other formation or sit and wait for me. then Smash.
Won both battles and only lost a single troll on the second match. this combo works. also I had all my captains might left from my other formations as there was never a need to use it.
Another thing I did was take two companies of siege bows, this allowed me to cause untold amounts of death on many enemies from a great distance and soften them up before they got into a fight. though the second match I rolled 1 and 2 on almost every shot, the first match these bows were worth double the points to take them.
So without any normal bows, and with half my points spent on necromancer and trolls, I still did awesome. And thus my core is set for my force, anything I add will be around the core 1000 that I won with.

Villager

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:32 am

Sithious,
My wounds have been licked and great councils of strategy have been held. You will not be so lucky again.

From my point of view the trolls and the Necro were a very powerful combination, but my choice of ignoring the Necromancer in both battles was ultimetly not a good idea. the trolls were soaking up my might to try and get them out of play, and a strategy of picking off the other formations didnt realy work in an open battle without objectives. I will say though that if you can get the orcs disordered without a baner and after killing the captains they have a tendency to stay broken. I agree that the siege bows were awesome but it all depends on terrain since they cant be moved once placed.

My own expereince was that Gildor with one company was a waste of points and the same amount spent on two companies of Haldir's elves was not much of an improvement. In the first game Gildor had only one company and the whole thing was removed when they took four casualites from Bolt of Fire. Their defence sucked even though I had them in defensible terrain. I should have kept them on a hill on the flanks where the siege bows couldnt have hit them with the enchanted cloaks but i wasnt thinking about that, and i wanted to get Gildor's magic into the fight. He got one spell off and then was removed.

The second time I rounded out my Dol Amroth Army with Haldir's Elves, two companies. This time I was also able to get them into a defenisable position. though this time they lasted most of the whole game they really were not worth the points. They stalled a formation of Orcs that had to deal with them, and the terror the elves caused worked a couple of times, but point for point i would have been better off with more Pike-men. Since the low str of the bows didnt do much to Orcs with shields. I used all of Haldir's might on TAKE AIM and still only succeded in killing only a few of the orcs.

Bottom line, the Necromancer is a magical beast that needs to be delt with. I have a better plan next time.

Standard Bearer

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:49 am

Dol Amroth is Dangerous. So to finally throw them off even for a day is a start. I know that they will continue to be dangerous so I hope I can make a few good stands against them.

Previous
Return to WOTR Rules Queries