Command Companies

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Command Companies

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:00 am

Do you automatically take a full command company with every formation or do you just take certain options depending on the Faction you have chosen?

Istari

Re: Command Companies

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:35 am

The first company choses is a command company but does not include any special command models, these are extra points and optional.

Squire

Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:55 am

Not really, one must purchase command options to actually have a command company but you do not have to purchase all the command options for each command company.
http://richmondwarmancers.blogspot.com/ a space for news, hobby tips, battle reports and opinion on Lord of The Rings, Battlefleet Gothic and both warhammer systems.

Standard Bearer

Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:30 am

No, it is the first company purchased in a formation that is the command company.
And I quote (from pretty much every formation in the book that can take more than one company):

"The first company purchased is automatically the command company. The command company may have the following options: (captains, banners etc. etc. here)"

So to have a command company, one must purchase at least a one company stong formation. It is simply the company in which all captains and banners and the like that are attached to the formation must be placed.
http://bdhobbymadness.blogspot.co.nz/

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!

Squire

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:46 am

That is under the options for almost, not all, listings in the bestiary. Not in the rules section, nor in the special rules under the bestiary entry. It is there for clarity when comparing legendary versus common and rare entries.
http://richmondwarmancers.blogspot.com/ a space for news, hobby tips, battle reports and opinion on Lord of The Rings, Battlefleet Gothic and both warhammer systems.

Istari

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:03 am

Its not there for clarity, that is the only place where you will find 'rules' for command Co. contents - captains, banners etc are optional otherwisw why have points for them and not just include them like some Legendary formations. No where does it say you have to buy models to go in a command company, but it does say they are optional.

Standard Bearer

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:55 am

hithero wrote:The first company choses is a command company but does not include any special command models, these are extra points and optional.

but there are some models like urk hai berserkers and barrow wrights who dont have these options
i think command companys are important when moving and as hithero said as extras
Mark, Warlord of Ipswich
i have bad spelling bad spelling

Vajeeta! what does the the scouter say about his power levels!
ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ranger

Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:22 pm

but there are some models like urk hai berserkers and barrow wrights who dont have these options
i think command companys are important when moving and as hithero said as extras

That's irrelevant. If Berserkers have just 1 company, it is the command company according to the rules - regardless of whether they have options to buy upgrades or not.
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Istari

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:24 pm

BlackMist wrote:

That's irrelevant. If Berserkers have just 1 company, it is the command company according to the rules - regardless of whether they have options to buy upgrades or not.

I think thats what MJ is getting at, not all formations have command models and therefore are not compulsory for those with options to do so.

Villager

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:09 pm

Thanks for all the replies,
I understand that you dont have to take them if you wish,
But do you think you should take them or not? Like are they handy or just there for show? :) Thanks.

Next
Return to WOTR Rules Queries