Command Companies

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Re: Command Companies

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:09 pm

hithero wrote:Well I am sitting here with my rulebook and, as all others appear to do so, disagree with you. Please show us rules references as to where Command Companies are optional and you have to purchase a command model to get it, because I can't find that anywhere - only the opposite.

Command companies are not optional, it is stated in the description of units whether they have them or not. The problem is that everyone is assuming that where a command company is cited as the first company this is only because this unit has command options, but this isn't the case. Orc Tracker Warband prove this point.

Look at pg.154 for Orc Tracker Warband 'The first company purchased is automatically the command company' it then says nothing about command options. The fact is that formations do not have command companies unless otherwise stated in their description, as they are for Orc Tracker Warband. If that sentence was a precursor to command options (like other units) then this unit would also have command options, but it doesn't.

To make it clearer the description should be laid out like this:

'The first company purchased is automatically the command company.'

'The command company may have the following options.'

These are two separate things. You need a command company to have command options, but you do not automatically gain command options if you have a command company.

I don't know why you keep quoting p.60 as well, because that section is called Command Companies, i.e. it is all about formations that have command companies and not formations that do not have command companies. The statement 'The command company is the first company in a formation...' only applies to formations that are allowed command companies.

This rule is so clear that if anyone is playing all formations with command companies then they are playing the game wrongly. If the devs now claim that every single formation, apart from those with We Stand Alone has a command company, even when not stated in the description, then they have effectively rewritten the rules and need to post it on GW's site.

As for having to buy command companies, well the first company is automatically the command company, so need to buy and no need to stack it with command figures either, since that is optional.

Villager

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Kevo947 wrote:Do you automatically take a full command company with every formation or do you just take certain options depending on the Faction you have chosen?

You only get a command company with your formation if it is stated in the description of the unit that:

'The first unit purchased is automatically the command company.'

...regardless of whether or not they have command options.

Ranger

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:25 pm

Morgoth's Dad wrote:Command companies are not optional, it is stated in the description of units whether they have them or not. The problem is that everyone is assuming that where a command company is cited as the first company this is only because this unit has command options, but this isn't the case. Orc Tracker Warband prove this point.

As I said on OR - Orc Tracker Warband can be the same misprint as a misprint of having We Stand Alone in a Vault Warden Formation (or any other formation that has no option for command but has the WSA rule).

I'll also copy the other line:
As for positioning of the company, that's described later in the same sentence. "The first company in a formation is the command company" - refers to the first company bough being a command. "and is always placed as near to the centre of a formation's front rank as possible" - refers to the placement of the command company.
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Villager

Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:39 am

Formations without command companies and We Stand Alone.
Vault Wardens
The Three Hunters
The Fellowship
The White Council
Council of Wizardry
Castellans
The Nine are Abroad
Twilight Ringwraiths
Court of Fallen Kings
Werewolf Pack

Just this alone is an arguement that all formations have command companies.

Non-Single Model Companies without command companies
Avenger Bolt Thrower
Battlecry Trebuchet
Dwarf Ballista
Morgul Stalkers
War Catapult
Siege Bow
Uruk-Hai Sappers
Wild Men of Dunland
Uruk-Hai Berserker
Isengard Assault Balista
Giant Spider
Cloud of Bats
Spider Broodling
Watcher Warband
Half-Troll Warband
Mumak
Spectral Host

Now you could make an arguement why each one wouldn't have Hero's in it, logically speaking. So its a grey area for sure.

Here's where I get a conflict of interest for many of you in favor of command companies in every formation.

Non-Single Model Formation that contain an unusual number of models
The Three Hunters - Single Company, 3 models
The Fellowship - Single Company, 9 Models
The White Council - Single Company, 4 Models
Council of Wizardry - Single Company, 5 Models
The Nine are Abroad - Single Company, 9 Models
Twilight Ringwraiths - One to Three Companies, 3 Models
Mumak - Single Company, 13 Models plus Mumak

The only one without 'We Stand Alone' is the Mumak which is widely regarded as unjoinable and the Mumak is not listed as a single model but rather a single company.

I'll leave ya at that. :D I better cross-reference this with the FAQ. :roll:
‎"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (1729-97)

Previous
Return to WOTR Rules Queries