Magic -> counter spells

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Magic -> counter spells

Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:56 am

If i cast SfC multiple times on a formation, will enfeeble counter just 1 of the SfCs? or will all the SfCs be countered?

Ranger

Re: Magic -> counter spells

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:57 am

It's not entirely clear, but I believe it would be all because each spell has its own "I get countered if there is an enfeeble present" rule, so effectively they all get countered, they don't discount each other in 1:1 sense.
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Squire

Sat May 14, 2011 3:56 am

I would like to make a correction to blackmist's argument here. On page 71 in the last paragraph for the Counterspells section, it states " When a magical power is successfully used on a target already under the effects of a spell it can counter, both the new spell and the existing spell cease to work and have no further effect that turn"

This would mean that it does cancel out in a 1:1 ratio

However, if Blackmist is partially correct, then this could mean that once a spell is cast, the spells it counters no longer work for the rest of the turn. For instance, if you cast call winds on your own formation, it can no longer be targeted with a Pall of Night spell.

Squire

Sat May 14, 2011 4:13 am

When a magical power is successfully used on a target already under the effects of a spell it can counter, both the new spell and the existing spell cease to work and have no further effect that turn

How do you get that it only cancels one instance out of that?

I cast enfeeble. Every spell on the target formation checks to see if it is countered by enfeeble. Every instance of SfC finds that enfeeble does counter it and so ceases to work.

Ranger

Sat May 14, 2011 5:23 pm

I'm with Forgotten Lore on this, nowhere does it say that there is a 1:1 ratio, just that the spell gets affected, therefore every spell has to check if it gets countered or not and all get countered at the same time.
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Return to WOTR Rules Queries