Kataphrakts

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Warrior

Kataphrakts

Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:07 am

The book denotes them as Strength 4, is it generally considered to be a typo, any FAQs on this? It seems very out of place.
War is not about who's right, but who's left.

Squire

Re: Kataphrakts

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:58 am

Nothing I know of.

Your concern is that the other Easterling formations are Strength 3 and cavalry isn't usually accompanied by a strength increase?

Warrior

Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:12 am

Yep, exactly. Looked right through the book and there is no other similar case. I'm not complaining if it's a one off though, Kataphrakts actually needed a selling point anyway because they're quite awful in SBG.

Squire

Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:23 am

It's not in the FAQ so it looks like they are meant to be strength 4.

My favourite trick is to put Khamul in them and give them the Tormented steeds fate. They would then be strength 5 so are wounding defence 7 on 5s and will be hitting this hard for longer because of Khamul's special rule.
LOTR GT 2010 - 4th!!!
LOTR Doubles GT 2010 - 25th!!!
LOTR GT 2011 - 18th!!! + The Fellowship Award
LOTR Doubles GT 2011 - 6th!!!
LOTR GT 2012 - 12th!!!
LOTR Doubles GT 2012 - 30th!!! Worst result but most fun yet!!!

Standard Bearer

Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:43 pm

WotR seems to play with stats to fit the formation, not the model. for example; Oathsworn Malitia use warriors of Rohan at S3, but Grimbolds Helmingas warriors of Rohan are S4.
looks like they also consider the metal/plastic prices and try to make metal models slightly more elite in most cases than plastic models of simular nature.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Warrior

Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:11 pm

Sithious wrote:WotR seems to play with stats to fit the formation, not the model. for example; Oathsworn Malitia use warriors of Rohan at S3, but Grimbolds Helmingas warriors of Rohan are S4.

It's the same case in SBG. I don't really follow your meaning here.

Standard Bearer

Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:58 pm

well, the plastic easterlings on foot are lower stats and easier to obtain in large numbers, the metal mounted are 5 in a box of metal models and pricey (since you either need a hero or buy an single blister to complete the last company). So the stat line is slightly better. just throwing that out there becasue the other metal models seem to have that simular concept. Khand, Mahud....why are they S4, they are men are they not? but they are metal models so incentive or a return on investment is required so they get better stats. IMO

And with the Rohan example...you can use your plastic warriors at S3 or go buy the newer metal Grimbold model and upgrade all your warriors to S4....bam, metal pays off.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Warrior

Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Ah ok, sorry I thought you were making a different point about single models vs. formations, but yeah I totally agree, it makes sense for GW to give us a good reason to buy the metals. I suppose that Kataphrakts are pretty much the only metal cavalry in the game that has a plastic infantry equivalent, more often than not it's the other way around, or they're both metal/plastic. So from that perspective it makes a lot of sense to boost the Kataphrakts compared to plain old Easterlings.

Return to WOTR Rules Queries