Terror Mechanic

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Warrior

Terror Mechanic

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:38 am

I saw what I percieved to be a somewhat ludicrous argument between two WotR players at our local club last night. Games of WotR are extremely rare at our club so I've no idea whether this issue is well documented, or FAQ'd or whatnot, but it revolves around implementing the terror mechanic.

Essentially a formation of Uruk Hai was charged by a formation of High elf infantry and promptly failed its terror test.

The Uruk Hai player argued from the rules that all Terror tests are taken in the Charge Phase (which is in fact true, either before declaring a charge or immediately after a successful charge is made) and that the rules for terror clearly stipulate that the terrified formation has their fight value reduced to 0 for the remainder of the phase, which is also true. He then went on to reason that the formation's fight skill would be restored to its proper value at the start of the next phase, i.e the fight phase.

Obviously his opponent disputed this on the grounds that if true, this interpretation would make the entire terror mechanic completely useless.

So how does this resolve? As far as I can tell the Uruk Hai player is correct in his application of the rules, but unless I am mistaken fight value is never used for anything other than in the fight phase, so simply reducing it for the duration of the charge phase would be a complete irrelevance.

Or is this just a big gloopy error caused by poor rules writing and needs houseruling to extend the Fight modification to the end of the fight phase as well?
Spiney Norman, Former Standard Bearer of the Last Alliance

For the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all.

Squire

Re: Terror Mechanic

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:28 pm

In the FAQ on page 3 under special rules they note that a hero in a formation that fails a courage test is fight 0 for any heroic duels, which occur in the fight phase.

Also the FAQ on page 4 they talk about using epic strike to increase the fight value of the hero (and company) AFTER failing a courage test and using that new fight value in a fight.

So these seems to indicate that the effect of terror carries over into the fight phase.
http://richmondwarmancers.blogspot.com/ a space for news, hobby tips, battle reports and opinion on Lord of The Rings, Battlefleet Gothic and both warhammer systems.

Warrior

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:49 pm

Sorry to be dense, but I've scoured the GW website and I can't find a link to the WotR FAQ anywhere, I didn't even know there was one. Could you post a direct link please.

Squire

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Here it is.

It is under the grey "gaming" drop down.
http://richmondwarmancers.blogspot.com/ a space for news, hobby tips, battle reports and opinion on Lord of The Rings, Battlefleet Gothic and both warhammer systems.

Squire

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:52 pm

Yeah, big gloopy error caused by the rules writers/designers not understanding their own rules. the fight reduction should extend through to the end of Fight phase unless something else modifies it again.

Istari

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Sounds like that its a comination of bad rule writing and a dickhead.

Warrior

Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:04 am

Jobu wrote:Here it is.

It is under the grey "gaming" drop down.

Thanks, apparently expecting it to be listed under "WotR articles" is too much to ask for...

Return to WOTR Rules Queries