Legendary formations and epic heroes

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Legendary formations and epic heroes

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:49 am

Hi everyone

A friend and I were playing the Fords of Isen scenario this afternoon and we got a little confused about the rules for legendary formations and epic heroes.

I have two related questions that hopefully someone can clarify for me. Both of these issues actually related to fielding Theodred in the battle:

1) Theodred is deployed as part of the legendary formation "Theodred's knights".

But is he allowed to leave the formation during the battle?

Technically I can't see anything in the rulebook thats says he can't. But in terms of the history, background, and feel of Lord of the Rings, it seems Theodred would stay with his formation.

I guess the general question is... can epic heroes deployed as part of their own legendary formations move freely around the battlefield, or are they forever confined to their original formation.

Now the next question:

2) When an epic hero is deployed in a legendary formation (such as Theodred in "Theodred's Knights") does he/she have all of the special rules that his/her hero profile has, or does he/she just have the special rules that are in the legendary formation profile?

For example, Theodred, as an single epic hero, is listed on p.116 as having Epic Defense, Epic Sacrifice, Epic Intervention, and the Hero of Legend special rule...

However, in the "Theodred's Knights' profile for the legendary formation (p.113) only the Hero of Legend special rule is mentioned.

It seems somehow wrong to me that Theodred should not have those special abilities just because he is deployed in the formation and not as a single hero. Although I do wonder whether the omission is intentional.

Does anyone know the answer to these questions, and where in the rulebook these matters are dealth with?
If anyone is looking for game in New York City, get in touch...

Squire

Re: Legendary formations and epic heroes

Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:35 pm

The heroes that come as part of a Legendary formation are not Epic Heroes, they are just regular heroes, like a captain with extra abilities, so such a hero cannot leave his formation and does not have any of the abilities listed under his/her epic profile.

Villager

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Thanks so much for the response FrogottenLore. I couldn't find the section in the rulebook that explained it.
If anyone is looking for game in New York City, get in touch...

Villager

Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:34 am

I was just thinking about this myself, and what do you know, i scroll down a little and your've already asked the question. It seems a shame though to have lovely named characters that get "stifled" into staying put the whole time whilst others are free to roam about like they own the place. Does anybody have any good house rules regarding this?? something to spice the game up abit?

Villager

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:43 pm

adragonsfang wrote:I was just thinking about this myself, and what do you know, i scroll down a little and your've already asked the question. It seems a shame though to have lovely named characters that get "stifled" into staying put the whole time whilst others are free to roam about like they own the place. Does anybody have any good house rules regarding this?? something to spice the game up abit?

When an Epic Hero deplayed with a Legendary formation leaves that formation, the Epic hero, such as Theodred, would change his profile to that of the lone Epic Hero version of him. A hero such as Gildor, which has no other profile, would have that same profile in that different formation, and the Legendary formation that he left would lose the legendary formation title and become to a non-Legendary Formation that best matches the stats of the models in the legendary formation, and loses all special abilities that they previously had as a Legendary formation, but keeps the same weapons.
That legendary formation would be no longer existent, and would not be remade if that Hero moved back. E.g. Gildor moves to a High Elf Cohort formation, Gildor's household changes to a regular Wood Elf formation with bows. Gildor moves back to that Wood Elf formation, that formation is a regular Wod Elf formation, but with Gildor in it.

A set of House rules that would work.
"A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night."-Legolas, The Lord of the Rings

Return to WOTR Rules Queries