The Rules

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

The Rules

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Hello,

I never did get into WotR. Only SBG. But I'm thinking of playing around with WotR now. Can I only get the rules by buying the rulebook? ;) And it seems there is an expansion book called "Battlehosts" as well. Do I also need to get that one? What does it add to the original WotR rules?

Thanks.
Le hannon, a harthon trevedithal i ven agor.
~Ernildhir

Few now remember them, yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless.

Squire

Re: The Rules

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Yes, the only (legal) way to get the WotR rules is by buying the big rulebook.

Battlehosts is a purely optional expansion. It adds some extra large army groupings with special abilities. If your at all familiar with Warhammer 40K, battlehosts work like apocalypse formations. The general consensus is that, while Battlehosts has a couple of neat ideas and fixes one or two problems with certain armies, it is overall badly thought out and worded and includes a lot of outright broken things.

WotR is a great game, but it does suffer from some unclear rules and a handful of blatantly overpowered units/heroes. Its a lot of fun but you do need to be willing to interpret how some rules are SUPPOSED to work and possibly implement some house rules. That said, it remains my all time favorite wargame.

Return to WOTR Rules Queries