Radagast Q and Spirit Grasp Q

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Re: Radagast Q and Spirit Grasp Q

Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:01 pm

adragonsfang wrote:I meant to say the rule is odd cause gramitically the 5 words describe the rule. I too hate them adding stuff for no reason or for "completeness", it does my head in. It feels like they never even proof read the damn rulebook.
Also you didnt answer my Glorfindel question! I already know he "charges like a flying monster" it says just as much in his rules, but does that mean for all intencive purposes he acts as a flying monster(except when another rule specifically states a flying monster, then he doesn't) So the charge distance the charge bonus, difficult terrain modifier(or lack of it) etc?

Glorfindel moves and charges as a flying monster. Since he doesn't get to fight as a flying monster, I would assume that he doesn't get the charge bonus of 6 dice because combat modifiers are calculated in the fight phase, where Glorfindel fights as a monster. That's the way I read it at least.
He does move as a flying monster, so that means he can move over terrain and other formations just fine.

Squire

Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:31 pm

Sparedbile wrote:Glorfindel moves and charges as a flying monster. Since he doesn't get to fight as a flying monster, I would assume that he doesn't get the charge bonus of 6 dice because combat modifiers are calculated in the fight phase, where Glorfindel fights as a monster. That's the way I read it at least.
He does move as a flying monster, so that means he can move over terrain and other formations just fine.

That is pretty much my take on it too, I think.

It does beg the question of what (if any) terrain he is allowed to occupy.

Any type because he is a monster (probably not)
Walled Fields and Forests, as per page 53
None, as per page 34

Villager

Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:00 am

The FAQ/errata actually states
"Q. If a company moves and charges as a flying monster, does it get the Charge bonus of a flying monster in a fight?
A. Yes."

So Glorfindel does get the extra charge dice. I believe although the charge bonuses are applied in the fight phase it is the action that took place in the charge phase that is important.
I would like to point out the wording of the question "...charges as..", however that doesnt change the grammer used in Radagast's Beastwalk.

I think we can also all agree though that if "flying monster" was replaced with any troop type, the same would still apply and the troop would receive the relavant charge bonus.

The FAQ also states
"Q. Can Glorfindel move into defensible terrain as he moves like a flying monster? (p124)
A. No. Glorfindel does not cower in buildings! He’s a mighty Elf lord whose blade thirsts for the blood of Sauron’s sinister servants."
So that probably answers your question.

Previous
Return to WOTR Rules Queries