Legendary formation banners

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

User avatar
Warrior
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:26 pm
Location: Retford, North Notts

Legendary formation banners

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:25 am

Do the royal standard of Rohan (kings guard) and the banner of the king (grey company) count as normal banners in addition to their special effect? It doesnt specifically state that they do, but there is no other way of either formation getting a banner.
Spiney Norman, Former Standard Bearer of the Last Alliance

For the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all.

Villager
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Legendary formation banners

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:32 pm

I recently read into this matter. Most people were actuelly asking if they were army banner's since they are mentioned in the army banner section. The debate didnt really reach a conclusive point but most people agreed that they were both atleast banner bearers. As you said they dont have a banner option other than their special banners so it would imply that they are since they are called "banner" and "standard"(synomous with banner).

User avatar
Warrior
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:26 pm
Location: Retford, North Notts

Re: Legendary formation banners

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:46 pm

adragonsfang wrote:I recently read into this matter. Most people were actuelly asking if they were army banner's since they are mentioned in the army banner section. The debate didnt really reach a conclusive point but most people agreed that they were both atleast banner bearers. As you said they dont have a banner option other than their special banners so it would imply that they are since they are called "banner" and "standard"(synomous with banner).


It was my understanding that you had to buy the relevant fate/fortune to turn them into an army banner, but thanks for your input.
Spiney Norman, Former Standard Bearer of the Last Alliance

For the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all.

Villager
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Legendary formation banners

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:13 pm

Spiney Norman wrote:It was my understanding that you had to buy the relevant fate/fortune to turn them into an army banner, but thanks for your input.


Any normal Banner bearer yes, but the debate was that these werent normal banners and that in the army banner special rule these two banners are specifically metioned. So the debate was whether their mentioning was conclusive proof or just "character" text. I still havent made my mind up but im leaning towards Banner Bearer as others have.

Villager
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Legendary formation banners

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:49 pm

Yes, I would assume that they count as banners, just with special abilities, as it doesn't say that they're army banners.
But I don't think that you can make them Army Banners with the Fortume as they are not "normal" banners.
"A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night."-Legolas, The Lord of the Rings

Villager
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Legendary formation banners

Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:17 am

gil-galad's elves wrote:But I don't think that you can make them Army Banners with the Fortume as they are not "normal" banners.

I would have to disagree with this. It sounds totally counter intuitive for them to be mentioned in the army banner "fluff" if it totally impossible for them to be army banners even if you pay for the fate/fortune.

Villager
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Legendary formation banners

Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:18 pm

Yes, but they're not specifically talking about the Banner of the King from the Grey Company.Or the Standard of Rohan from The Kings Guard. There are multiple Standards of Rohan and Multiple Banners of The Grey King, as there can be multiple Army Banners. The Banner of the King from the Grey Company, and the Standard of Rohan from the King's Guard are special rules, not Army Banners. If they were Army Banners, it would say so.
"A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night."-Legolas, The Lord of the Rings

Villager
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Legendary formation banners

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:12 am

gil-galad's elves wrote:Yes, but they're not specifically talking about the Banner of the King from the Grey Company.Or the Standard of Rohan from The Kings Guard. There are multiple Standards of Rohan and Multiple Banners of The Grey King, as there can be multiple Army Banners. The Banner of the King from the Grey Company, and the Standard of Rohan from the King's Guard are special rules, not Army Banners. If they were Army Banners, it would say so.

There is only one banner of the king held by Halbarad and only one Royal standard of rohan. These are the exact banners stated in the army banners rule section. And they are the exact banners as shown in the grey company and the king's guard.

Its just silly to say "they're not specifically talking about the Banner of the King from the Grey Company" when the fluff clearly says the Grey company fighting under the banner held by Halbarad, who can only be found in the grey company and only he can carry The Banner of the King.

Your right that there are multiple "standards of rohan" just as there are multiple banners of gondor. But there is only one "Royal Standard of Rohan" and one "Banner of the King" and only one "King's Guard" and one "Grey Company".

How much more proof do you need that they are explicity mentioning these exact two banners that are unique?


Like i said before, there not enough evidence to say they are army banners as default but this is solid proof that it should be atleast possible even if you had to pay for the fortune.

Return to WOTR Rules Queries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests