Backing up Fighting company

For all discussions regarding the War of the Ring system.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Backing up Fighting company

Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:37 pm

Hi guys, not brand new to WOR but can somebody tell me, so I know we are playing correctly, if a formation has a row of trays backing up combat, they receive 1 dice each as support. If there are for example four trays backing up one behind the other, do they also receive 1 dice each, or is it only the first tray behind that backs up as per diagrams in the book. Hope this is clear.

Many thanks.

Villager

Re: Backing up Fighting company

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:20 pm

Each company not in base contact provide support and so receive 1 dice each. Having said that, remember when charging the formation must fan out in order to bring as many companies into base contact as possible provided each company does not exceed its' charge value and the formation after having charged must still be a legal formation. The reason I bring this up is because you describe four trays (companies) backing up one behind the other. Most likely, this wouldn't occur (at least very often) because the front rank would have spread out two or three companies wide.

For example, a formation of nine companies of goblins attacking a formation of only one company of men would most likely end up three companies wide (unless blocked by terrain or other formations). The command company of goblins lined up with the men and then one company of goblins on either side of their command company and corner to corner with the men. Then, the other six companies would be lined up in support three wide and two deep. This would leave only two ranks deep behind the first three companies. (of course being goblins they have mob rule and get two dice per supporting company).

Does that make sense?

Return to WOTR Rules Queries