Coëns topic of things - King of Harad

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Re: Coëns topic of things - Still summer, more Harad

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:50 pm

So you are just going to hack up perfectly good models, put them together in creative ways, briliantly sculpt on new details, and come up with magnetic hands to swap weapons and think we will be impressed, yeah, you're right. Nice conversion work man. GW has provided a nice broad baseline of designs for Harad armies to work with allowing you alot of artistic freedom to play with. It looks like fun.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Standard Bearer

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:51 pm

Love it! Especially the fallen Haradrim is cool (not just because he is a fallen Haradrim, but also because you made converted him really well).
The mini Mumak looks like a cool idea for an objective marker (potentially dangerous, or maybe moving?).
The Fountain Guard conversion(s) also look great! Very fitting indeed. Also great touch to make the weapons optional.
Is the halberd blade made with cut sprue, or perhaps from filed ProCreate?
(About the ProCreate vs GS, I checked it and the ProCreate seems to be a bit more expensive, but not too much.)
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Squire

Re: Coëns topic of things - Summer theme: Harad

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:18 pm

What is the base figure? I don't know any plastics with a scimitar like that.

Xin

Standard Bearer

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:53 pm

looks like standard easterling Plastics stuff. There are spare sword arms in the plastic cav kit as well to offer some hands to swap.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Squire

Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Damn it all, now I have to buy some Easterlings!!!

Cheers, Xin

Villager

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:41 pm

Looking very lovely. For some reason, those spiked, black-and-yellow shields always stuck in my mind, even the first time I read that passage from The Two Towers, and I was very sorry they didn't make it into the movies. Glad to see they are making an appearance in your work! :D
Bilbo often used to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep and every path was its tributary.

Standard Bearer

Re: Coëns topic of things - Magnet royalty

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Still working on Harad - tis been a while since I was so devoted to a single project! :mrgreen:

After a recent series of battles, I decided my Harad armies should be led by a proper King - for which I need a model of course. So, converting it was..
Mostly removing things and repairing some parts so far. He'll get a chainmail coif and scale armour, perhaps with elements of Serpent Guard style incorporated in it. Mounted version will get a cloak.

As the title will have already given away, more magnets used (and to be used) on these guys. For starters, the right arm is the very same one on both guys, and can, on both, be swapped with a spear/lance as well.

More such trickery will be added. The green rims on the barding will get some jewels encased within - one of which will actually be a magnet, allowing the attachement of a quiver with bow. Foot version will get that one on his back or side. A shield can of course also be added, the foot version already has a suitable pose. As the foot and mounted version are never used at the same time, only a limited amount of specific arms or weapons is necessary this way.

Already working on a chieftain as well, who'll get a similar bunch of options.

Sithious wrote:So you are just going to hack up perfectly good models, put them together in creative ways, briliantly sculpt on new details, and come up with magnetic hands to swap weapons and think we will be impressed, yeah, you're right. Nice conversion work man. GW has provided a nice broad baseline of designs for Harad armies to work with allowing you alot of artistic freedom to play with. It looks like fun.

Thanks a lot Sithious, much appreciated. Starting to really enjoy these, and I suppose it shows. Best part of the Harad design is the sash at the waist, allowing for easy exchange of body halves. Also useful is the semi-uniform appearance, allowing for some good variation and giving something to fall back on in order to make models fit in. The slightly Saracen vibe gives some good inspiration too, for example the helmet on the king, the future chainmail coif even down to the feather on the horses head. Also: magnets are fun. Recommended, to everyone!

Fëanor wrote:Love it! Especially the fallen Haradrim is cool (not just because he is a fallen Haradrim, but also because you made converted him really well).
The mini Mumak looks like a cool idea for an objective marker (potentially dangerous, or maybe moving?).
The Fountain Guard conversion(s) also look great! Very fitting indeed. Also great touch to make the weapons optional.
Is the halberd blade made with cut sprue, or perhaps from filed ProCreate?

Still, I'm sure that the fact it features a dying Haradrim helps in its appeal.. ;) Halberd blade is made from the integral bases many non-slotta models (historicals) are supplied on - this one came from under the feet of a Gripping Beast Viking.

Xintao wrote:What is the base figure? I don't know any plastics with a scimitar like that.

Xin

Just a Haradrim spearmen, with, as Sithious pointed out, a scimitar from the Easterling Kataphrakts. Over twice the amount of swords necessary in that set, very useful for sure. Also very nicely detailed, much improved over the Easterling infantry or indeed metals from that range. And of course, the Kataphrakts themselves are rather good models as well.
Shield from Wargames Factory Numidians by the way.

Gangleri wrote:Looking very lovely. For some reason, those spiked, black-and-yellow shields always stuck in my mind, even the first time I read that passage from The Two Towers, and I was very sorry they didn't make it into the movies. Glad to see they are making an appearance in your work! :D

Thanks! Same here, I had for example completely forgotten about their plaited hair, but those mean shields did manage to stick. This is actually not the first time I made them, an earlier attempts had them on Black Númenóreans made very similarily to these Haradrim, but with some chainmail armour and masked heads. There, I made the shield boss into a pointed end, like so: http://shop.middle-ages.com/media/images/popup/germanic-shield-boss_2.JPG
These are more targe-like, and look more dangerous for it I think.

Standard Bearer

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Coën wrote:Still working on Harad - tis been a while since I was so devoted to a single project!

Cool isn't it? I also really enjoy focussing so much, it allows you to do much more and setting yourself to it is much easier (I've had times when the amount of project was just overwhelming). Probably sounds familiar to you too.

Anyway, awesome conversions, and I like how you put those magnets to good use! :) Very cool that in the end you'll have two King models that will allow you to give them any type and combination of war gear.
Looking forward to meet him in battle!
Also yes, the dying Haradrim helps in the appeal to me. ;)
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Squire

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:49 pm

They look great!
Not the great goblin, the big goblin
Take a look at my W.I.P tread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7616&p=81441#p81441

Standard Bearer

Re: Coëns topic of things - Yet more Harad (& magnets)

Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks guys, a quick update!

King(s) has/have got his/their chainmail (always lovely to sculpt):

[note: no bow]

[bow!]

And on foot (sash around helmet/coif will be added/repaired):

Bit more on little Mûmak:

And the scale:

Finally, the chieftain - will get a helmet and cloak. Chainmail is much nicer to sculpt!

Added advantage of magnets: they allow you to change the pose of a model mid-game!
Chieftain rallying his troops:

Or charging into melee!

PreviousNext
Return to Painting