Snow Fell wargs

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Snow Fell wargs

Sun May 26, 2013 5:23 pm

I was thinking about making a list full of mounted models so i thought of fell wargs but i didn't want to go along with the boring brown colour scheme so i was thinking of possibly a snow scheme. Has anyone got any ideas on what paints they would use and how they wouls use them to make a white snowy warg please.

Squire

Re: Snow Fell wargs

Mon May 27, 2013 12:42 am

Firstly, I did not mean to write this much when I started a response, but it is extremely clear that GW guides area VERY POOR example of what a warg or wolf should be painted like. They have so much going on in the fur that a drybrushing all over with a few different tones do not do them justice at all. Look at pictures of wolves on google and you will see what I mean. You can put a lot of character into the faces and head of black wolves, just add a light blue or yellow/brown/orange so that it stands out and put a black dot in the middle to make it real.

Scouring of the shire has a guide if you have it.
If you don't they use the following:
White Undercoat
Graveyard Earth/Fortress Grey mix
Bleached Bone drybrush
Skull white drybrush

After this the face has:
A mix of Graveyard earth, Fortress grey, Elf flesh. Add skulle white to the mix for highlights. You basically have a cleached bone colour with this mix.
To the mane add a mix of graveyard earth and brown ink. Add spots nears the jaw using a bestial brown/snakebite leather mix.
The teeth/claws are done by scorched brown then graveyard earth then fortress grey.

Another decent guide is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWclz2SSqcY

I would encourage you to mix and match - real wolves can be any colour from black to white and any mix of grey/brown in between - so I wouldn't even just stick to white, but I'm not a huge fan of white wargs.

Some colour mixes you might like are black with grey and white highlights or the reverse - a white with black and grey highlights.
The typical wolf would be in my opinion replicated with an undercoat or layer of white,
a drybrush of light brown, beginning at the elbow or just below it and moving up
a drybrush of black, beginning around half way up the body
drybrush/highlight of grey on top of the black and some parts of the brown
drybrush/highlight on top of the black with a different shade of brown, even with a little red mixed in if you want. Do this in areas where there would be fat or loose skin - at the base of the neck, behind the legs up to the tops of haunches and at the base of the spine before it joins the hip area.

Return to Painting