brush care

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

brush care

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:07 pm

My brushes have paint covered bristles and femurs(the metal bit) how can I fix this?
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warrior

Re: brush care

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:11 am

Well really washing them out between use is the most crucial thing, and not letting the paint dry in the bristles.

I also clean out the brushes with some hand soap, it can help with the paint.

Although I'm no pro by any standard I hope this helps. :D
Who ever said swimming was easier then running never swam a 400 I.M.

Proud swimmer and athlete for Queen's University of Charlotte

Squire

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:10 am

Once it gets down to the roots there isn't much you can do. The best thing to do is to not let it get down there in the first place. I used to have this problem because I was using pot paints and putting too much paint on at a time.
I would recommend using paints with droppers so you don't accidentally take too much on the brush and if you need a lot of paint, use a brush with a wider tip so it covers more area.

As for the current brush, give it a good wash with warm water with a touch of soap or detergent, but prevention is better than cure. If you use chemicals on the bristles they are likely to go stiff or floppy, so I would wait for someone who has actually used a certain product before trying it (unless you are going to throw the brush out anyway). You should be able to pick up some decent smaller sized brushes from a $2/budget shop.

Standard Bearer

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:27 am

Prevention is best, as has been said.

You can use brush restorer/cleaner for dried acrylic, it does work well, but often if the bristles have been damaged, curled, frayed etc, then they will remain that way, but the cleaner will get the paint off.

And since this stuff costs about the same as a new brush, you have to weigh the need.
I have it for cleaning after a session of painting, so it is good to have. As for brushes, I buy them a dozen on Artist Paintbrush and get great deals and of course end up always having tons of new brushes. The worst brushes I have ever used were the GW ones, I only use them for basing now and they were the most expensive brushes I ever bought too, so you don't always get what you pay for.

Care for your brush is key though. Keep paint off the metal part, and no-where near it when painting. You should only have paint on half of the visible bristles at the most when painting. You should also wet and clean the brush several times per color, often while painting a model. Thin the paint so it is smooth and so it will not dry in the brush quick. All of this can be found on hobby sites.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Squire

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:51 am

What brands/types do you get from that website sithious?
Also, where do you get the brush restorer from? I guess it would be in an art shop but if there is somewhere cheaper...

Squire

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:51 pm

Would you believe that today(A day I was planning to fight my backlog) is the day my fine detail brush dies?
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Standard Bearer

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:14 pm

I am currently loving the Royal & Langnickel Mini Majestic series. I can get up to a 20/0 round for super fine details (eyes and teeth). I got one as a gift once and it lasted quite a while so I bought more of those, It is good to have a variety of sizes for various things as was mentioned here, you don't want to be tempted to overload a small brush to cover a larger area.

The restorer is 'Winsor and Newton Brush Cleaner & Restorer' and I got my first bottle at a craft store, Micheals I think here in the US. I am still using that one bottle, it is only about 1/4 empty. it is Non Hazardous, Biodegradable, and low Vapor.... can't beat that really. it has some smell but so far I have never been bothered by it with use. There are no warnings on the label about anything which is great, safe product that works. You may be able to find it cheaper but I have not had to look yet.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Return to Painting