Removing Paint

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Removing Paint

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi There, I'm really new to this and just bought Escape from Goblin Town. I love the figures and bought some white spray paint primer before painting them. Unfortunately I Sprayed some of the models to closely and have lost quite a lot of detail on a few of my goblins. Is there a way to easily remove the base coat? I've tries using a disinfectant antiseptic as I read on the internet that works but it hasn't. Does any one have any other ideas?

Thanks
Anthony

Squire

Re: Removing Paint

Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:50 am

Did you use it diluted (watered down)?
Brown Dettol has always worked for me, but not if watered down. Note that Brown Dettol has a different group of ingredients than other disinfectant antiseptics, which is a possible reason why it may not have worked.

Villager

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:07 am

Ah, that might be the problem as I bought a cheaper alternative. I'll give that a go. Thanks very much.

Villager

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:48 pm

I bought Dettol Antiseptic Disinfectant and I also Fairy Power spray as I've been told that works well too.
I did a test to see which one worked best after being left for 24 hours. The paint just fell off the ones i'd left in Dettol when rinsed in the sink and worked really well. The Fairy Power spray also worked but required a bit of scrubbing with a toothbrush as well. Both worked but if I had the same problem again I'd go with the Dettol. You can also pour the Dettol back into a jar or bottle and re use in the future whereas with the Fairy you cant really re-use the spray.

Problem Solved!

Squire

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Was that done on plastic models? :) been dying to know what removes paint on plastics

Squire

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:31 am

Good stuff! Glad to hear it worked and thanks for posting back

Return to Painting