Where to buy the paints

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Where to buy the paints

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi There,
I'm new to this and recently bought the Hobbit game and the Hobbit paint starter kit which only really comes with paints for the goblins. I'm just wondering where people buy their paints and how much they pay. I've seen on Ebay you can you individual pots of Citadel paint for £1.99 + 99p postage. How much are they in GW or where else can you get them? Does anyone know where they are cheapest?

Thanks
Anthony

Squire

Re: Where to buy the paints

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:22 pm

In GW you get them for €3.00 so on eBay they are about the same or more depending on postage.You really need to use citadel.I think they are the same or around the same in all stores you can get them.
Hope this helps,
mordor orc.
Check out my scenic base thread- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7305&start=10

Squire

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:35 pm

EBay seems to be more expensive.Its 3 euro a pot so in pounds it should be £1.50 to £2 pounds.
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Standard Bearer

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:46 pm

According to the GW webstore, pots are £2.40 there, so with combined postage, ebay could be cheaper. However...
mordor orc wrote:You really need to use citadel.

Is of course untrue. Reaper Master Series, Coat D'arms, The Army Painter Warpaints or Vallejo Model Colour are all perfectly suitable alternatives - and they're about 2 quid a bottle/pot for 17ml, while the more expensive Citadel paints are only 12ml.
Reaper can be bought here for example: http://miniature-heroes.co.uk/index.php ... a64e79b8b8
The other three, as well as Citadel, from here (small discount): http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/
Vallejo and Army Painter also here, no discount but free shipping in July: http://www.warlordgames.com/store/hobby ... racks.html

If possible, I suggest you try out the different paints to see which you prefer, as there is some difference in density, amount of pigments, gloss etc. For example, Vallejo is reasonably thick (though obviously easily thinned, so in a way you get even more paint per bottle), and Reaper has a lovely matt finish.

Squire

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:59 pm

If he uses citadel he can use painting guides.
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squire

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:24 pm

You learn something new every day.
Well not sure if I'd get it.I want to follow painting guides so citadel is for me.

mordor orc.

Standard Bearer

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:25 pm

The vast majority of painting guides is written for the old series of citadel (incompatible with the new paints), painting guides are not exactly useful most of the time (or at least I quickly stopped using them - learning techniques is the key, choosing suitable colours is easily done yourself) and there are plenty of charts and tables online which show what citadel paint is similar to what [insert paint range here] colour anyway. And at under 2/3rds of the price (and sometimes higher quality), that little inconvenience is worth it in my opinion.

Squire

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:29 pm

Might give them a try sometime....
But too be honest you have sent my head spinning....

mordor orc.

Squire

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:40 am

You can use whatever paints you want. As long as they are acrylic (water based) you can apply them with just water to wash your brushes. Other paints would be alcohol based or something else which might require you to use chemicals to clean. There is no must have type of paint.

Games Workshop has the biggest colour range of paints Vallejo has a few less and Reaper has a couple less again. Coat D'Arms has less again. You do not need to have 1 of every single colour paint. GW has a wider range because it has multiple different shades of pink etc which are not needed by many people. You can easily achieve the same colours by adding a lighter or darker colour to one of your paints.

At this point I should note that Vallejo has two lines, one called Game Colour and one called Model Colour. Both of these paint lines are compatible with each other (can be mixed etc) and are for use on miniatures. Model Colour goes on smoother, so gives a neater, tidier finish without brush strokes than game colour which is designed for games, so is a little more durable (as the paint is thicker basically). GW paints will show brush strokes so the quality of Model Colour exceeds GW's line. I don't know about Reaper and Coat D'Arms.

GW comes in a pot, which means it is easier to get the brush into to get some paint. Vallejo comes in a dropper bottle which you basically have to put a drop of paint on a dish or tray or baking paper of some sort then apply it to the brush. As someone who started off with GW paints and a few Vallejo, this used to frustrate me so I got the GW paints for a short while. Once the GW paints started to dry out on me (still being 1/2 full or more) I began to take notice of paints a little more. Up until this stage I was applying too much paint to my minis, so while they had the right colours in the right places, they were not very good quality and pretty boring to look at and play with.
Annoyed with the dried paints, i switched to Vallejo. By being forced to use a dropper bottle i automatically learned how to apply the right amount and consistency of paint to make the mini's look better. I was also able to add the first realistic highlights to my models on things like cloaks and so on. I hadn't attempted this before as I didnt have enough $$ to buy all the GW colours I needed to, and mixing GW paints is a pain because you have to get it with your brush, put it on the tray, make sure you have the right amount, then wash your brush and get the next colour, which is a waste of paint and all you have achieved is the same thing as step #1 in Vallejo. So dropper bottles, whatever brand they are from, might be slow at first but you will quickly come to appreciate them in terms of doing a good paint job, and saving you $$ on dried paints.

As has been mentioned you get more for less with Vallejo compared to GW, and paint of a higher quality, so technically there is no reason not to choose Vallejo. I don't know the prices/amounts for the others, you would have to look it up.

So the last question is the use of painting guides. As has been mentioned, the majority of LOTR painting guides were done with the old paint line which technically is different to the new line. You can still use the new paints where they have remained the same, but you would have to know what the old and new ones are called, and there are some conversion sheets around the web.
The point I would like to make is that these are painting GUIDES. If you want to copy a heavy metal masterclass 100%, then you would obviously do everything exactly the same. If you want to paint your models the same way as the films which is mostly the same as GW, you don't have to use GW paints as you can get the same colour with different brands - it just has a different name. GW doesn't always use the perfect paints either - they just use what they think looks good so being 1 shade off isn't going to ruin the paint job, it might make it better in fact. Added to this is that GW uses a lot of washes, so the colour they are applying isn't even the same as what they end up with.

So in order to use the GW guides, all you do is look at the colour in the guide, then look at the closest colour of the paint you have or want to buy. I for one don't use guides. I know they have dark green cloaks, so I buy a dark green colour instead of a bright green. If i want it lighter i just add some white. Straight forward really.

I missed out army painter - this has a good reputation but i know nothing else about it. My choice is Vallejo and I used a chinese takeaway container lid. If you put a little water on the lid and cover it with baking paper it makes the pain last several hours longer than it normally would. I believe this is the equivalent to having a wet palette.

Return to Painting