Citadel paints drying out

For all painting related discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Citadel paints drying out

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Why does everybody say that these paints dry out?I got a RotK paint set free and the only fully dried up ones weren't closed properly.I have hexagon/pentagon era paints that haven't dried.I have left paint pots open for 2 days(Went on holiday to kilarney)and they didn't dry.So why does every body make forecasts of doom about them?
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squire

Re: Citadel paints drying out

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:47 am

Because they do.

How many years have you owned them? I bought a few GW paints about a year ago and they are noticeably thicker than the few weeks after I bought them. I close the lids as soon as I have the paint on the brush, so it isn't me taking bad care of them.

When I first got into LOTR back in 2003 or something i got a mix of Vallejo and GW paints.4 of the GW paints dried up completely and I couldn't get them back to a good consistency with water. The Vallejo paints had a small dry blob inside which when shaken vigorously (the same as I did to GW) came loose and the paint is good as new. Both were stored the same way (Vallejo probably worse), both I didn't use for several years but one was fixeable, the other wasn't. I'm no expert on paint, but that's just what happened. GW paints don't dry instantly but my experience is that it only takes a few months before they require water to be added just for me to be able to keep using them.

Squire

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:16 am

I found paints from 2003(citdel),most of them were in goodish condition.Most of the paints were just a bit thick nothing a good drop of water can't fix.Then 2-3 were dreid out full stop.So I think it depends on lids like with your regular paint.
But... They do dry out and thinking up.
When you came back to that paint left for 2 days what was the consistanty (sorry if that is spelt rong if so blame word)

mordor orc.
Check out my scenic base thread- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7305&start=10

Squire

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:01 am

I left a pot open for day in my garage and I was lucky it didnt dry up.
Not the great goblin, the big goblin
Take a look at my W.I.P tread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7616&p=81441#p81441

Squire

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:50 am

It was the same(well it might have been a bit thicker but didn't really matter.It was boltgun metal.)The only paint that really thickned up was imperial primer.It was watery and now its thick(Its all ways been useless)
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squire

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:43 am

When I got my impearl prier it was like nuln oil now its like black stones.
Not the great goblin, the big goblin
Take a look at my W.I.P tread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7616&p=81441#p81441

Return to Painting