Tree help

For all terrain based discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Tree help

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:15 am

Hey guys. I need some advice on how to make trees, but not pine trees. More like trees from Fangorn or something? No Idea what materials to use for the stump/tree trunk. Any ideas :?:
OFG x DoTheBird (XBLIVE Gamertag)

Ranger

Re: Tree help

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Twigs. Ensure that they're wholly dried out and that you obtain them legally. Stick them down to bases and attach vegetation with PVA (wood ) glue. Some may need gentle touching up with grey paint (to represent age) or green (moss) but generally it doesn't take long to find the perfect shade.

The perfect shape is a Y (you're unlikely to find anything with more 'branches' unless you get lucky with a root or something) but you can always add extra branches by glueing more twigs to the main 'trunk' or even winding cable/wire and stretching it out. Paint and vegetation soon hides any such improvisation, or you can play around with tape and/or modelling putty.

Villager

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Hey thanks bro!! I'll try it out. Never thought of using twigs before :D

Villager

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:36 am

Image Image Image Image
I have to go to the farm for lichen but the twigs are boxwood hedge , honeysuckle and English ivy from the yard.I think photos are worth a 1000 words so review the slide show by clicking the thumbnail.IT should be helpful.
Who is so wise in the ways of science?

Villager

Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:27 pm

Oldman Willow wrote:Image Image Image Image
I have to go to the farm for lichen but the twigs are boxwood hedge , honeysuckle and English ivy from the yard.I think photos are worth a 1000 words so review the slide show by clicking the thumbnail.IT should be helpful.

Thanks for the pics. Pictures definitly help :D

Villager

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:10 am

Oldman Willow wrote:Image Image Image Image

Does the lichen dry out, or does it stay green?
"A red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night."-Legolas, The Lord of the Rings

Villager

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:33 am

I use garden wire and paper mache. You bend the wire over on itself a few times then teist it togeter. Cut the top and bottom loops of wire and bend out to make roots and branches. Glue to a base, clad in paper mache or toilet roll soaked in watered down pva and paint.
Attachments
2012-04-04 11.32.17.jpg
2012-04-04 11.32.17.jpg (98.54 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
Mae Govannien, mellonamin.

Villager

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:22 pm

that spidertree looks really good.
I tried making trees with paper mache once but it didn't become so good as yours
"tonight you will taste man flesh!"
saruman the white

Villager

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:28 am

Does the lichen dry out, or does it stay green?

I treat the lichen with glycerin and paint it before I add flocking. It will get hard and dry out after a very few days if it is left natural.Glycerin is used to make soap. All you have to do is heat water and add about 1/3 volume of glycerin and soak the lichen until it cools.Try some of the model rail road sites for more details. Some people dye the lichen. Spray paint works fine.
Who is so wise in the ways of science?

Return to Terrain