Stones and Rocks

For all terrain based discussions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Stones and Rocks

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 am

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone knew a good way to make rocks? I'm making a diorama featuring sauron, and I can't find any rocks of the right size. if I pull it off I'll post pictures.
Thanks in advance
Roland.
That's what i'm Tolkein about!

Squire

Re: Stones and Rocks

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:05 am

Something I've wanted to try for a while (therefore there's no guarantee that it will work) is to use bark chippings, like you find around car parks and such. If you can find some of the chunkier pieces, they'd look perfect painted up grey. You can buy them at garden centres I believe. I'm not sure how well they hold paint though, and that kind of thing. And it also depends on what you mean by "the right size". How big do you want them in comparison to your models?
"That's impossible, there's no such thing as trolls."
"Then how do you explain all the dead unicorns?"

Squire

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:33 am

Thanks for the advice!
The model I'm making is sort of a feature piece of Sauron, and I want to have some rocks around him, some about half his height, others about double, and one or two for him to stand on, from what you've said it sounds like tree bark would be an ideal solution, when you said it, I immediately thought of pine tree bark, because it's so rough and knobbly.
I'll definately give it a go, and seeing as you said you were wanting to give it a go, I'll post some pictures for you to see.
That's what i'm Tolkein about!

Squire

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:03 pm

That sounds ace. I look forward to it! The good thing about them though is that you can stack several up to make a rocky mound, and if you stick that on a base, it's really quick and easy terrain. It would look nice with modelling sand scattered over it as well. But yeah, best of luck!
"That's impossible, there's no such thing as trolls."
"Then how do you explain all the dead unicorns?"

Squire

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:46 pm

Heya, I use bark from nearby trees, chip bark from playgrounds and cork for rocks. Undercoat black, heavy dark grey drybrush, lighter light grey drybrush, very light white drybrush then black wash. Looks good and is cheap and easy.
Blog link below has tons of examples from single minis to scenery sized bits.

Show us your pics when done!
My LotR and 40k blog, Realm of Battle board, dwarves, gobs, space wolves and battle reports. http://simbattleboard.blogspot.com/

Villager

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:48 am

The pine bark will work fine. I would recommend that you cut some of the park chunks off on one end and stand them up. Every one uses the flat sections. They can be very dramatic standing on end.

WIP one foot tall Misty Mountain back ground and Goblin Town
larger trees for the Old Forest
simmuskhan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:46 pm
Heya, I use bark from nearby trees, chip bark from playgrounds and cork for rocks. Undercoat black, heavy dark grey drybrush, lighter light grey drybrush, very light white drybrush then black wash. Looks good and is cheap and easy.

Yes that is what I do too :!:
Who is so wise in the ways of science?

Villager

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:05 am

I wrote a tutorial on how I built my herdstone for my Warhammer Beastmen.

Return to Terrain