Picture of Re designed Bolg

For all discussions of Tolkien's works.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Picture of Re designed Bolg

Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:09 am

http://imgur.com/X21QTi9

I think after Azog was redesigned they wanted to redesign Bolg to make a father/son look. He looks alright but I think I have to see more to properly judge him, I still miss the old design.

Standard Bearer

Re: Picture of Re designed Bolg

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:01 am

I actually didn't care much for the old design - I thought it had too much going on. This one I like much more.
http://bdhobbymadness.blogspot.co.nz/

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!

Warrior

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:54 am

Ooooh, another hairless cgi gorilla totally devoid of character, just what we needed.

Give me back the bearded badass any day.
Spiney Norman, Former Standard Bearer of the Last Alliance

For the time will soon come when Hobbits will shape the fortunes of all.

Villager

Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:18 am

Exactly what he said^ I mentioned this in my movie discussion topic because I didnt see this till after, but I think this sucks.

He has no character. He is lame and boring. I bought into Azog because he was the one, unique, big ugly white orc. And now, we have his body double. I say who cares.

The old Bolg, was a huge terrifying badass. Hes wearing a scalped bloody dwarf beard!!!! I miss it, and for them to put a cgi guy in place of that human in a sickening costume hurts deep in my lotr/hobbit heart.

Villager

Mon May 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Got to say I'm not a fan of the orc designs for the Hobbit series so far. I always imagined Bolg and Azog as being much better equipped and not sure why they went with such a palid skin tone. Although the CGI looks good now, it's going to look really dated in the future.

Standard Bearer

Mon May 19, 2014 9:10 pm

I think the rest of the hunter orcs look great though. I like the combination of prosthetic costumes but a CGI face, where you can combine realisim with facial expressive detail. I understand what you mean about Bolg/Azog though.

Standard Bearer

Fri May 23, 2014 12:42 pm

I still dont like a director second guessing his work. I am one of those people who think an artist needs to follow his vision, not compromise, and it actually bothers me a lot that we are getting so many late changes in the film, story and characters that should have been hashed out before the first day of shooting, not in the editing chair and in pick up shots. We are now seeing Actors acting to a scene shot a while ago with a new CGI person shoved in, it is no longer grounded, it shows loss.
I don't understand Azog at all now, why would he be leashed and hid in the ruins of Dol Guldor, what was it ok for him to blaze across the country on the hunt and now he is needed to sit there doing nothing? But it is ok for his second to continue running all over middle earth in his place? it makes zero sense, it feels forced, it is just weak.

All that said, now that they have Bolg, well, it is about time. Why wasn't Bolg in from the beginning? Maybe we should toss out the first film and reshoot that to have Bolg in it and do this right, right? kidding aside, I am a little happy that Bolg is in the story as he should be. He is awesome in the attack on the elves, but his interaction in the story so far makes him seam lame compared to Azog. He doesn't hold enough villain status yet for me to care or think him a threat.

One film to go, and all the villains will be dead. It will be hard to watch because it will be very rushed with so much to do (unless they split the film again). Hope for the best though.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Villager

Tue May 27, 2014 10:35 pm

Lord Hyper wrote:I think the rest of the hunter orcs look great though. I like the combination of prosthetic costumes but a CGI face, where you can combine realisim with facial expressive detail. I understand what you mean about Bolg/Azog though.

Yeah! I mean these are orc warlords, why would they be going into battle almost naked? I always imagined them as physically imposing, clad in big heavy armour with cruel looking weapons. I felt the same about the orcs from goblin town in the first film. Was expecting them to look more like the traditional fantasy goblins with found weapons, furs and armours and was excited about getting some new models to paint up.

Squire

Fri May 30, 2014 2:40 pm

I like Bolg a lot more than I like Azog. I never saw enough of the old Bolg to really get interested in him, but he definitely had some character about him.

I feel like he did have a bit much going on - when I first saw him he just looked like a mess. The beard and bones just needed to be a little simpler maybe so it was more visually appealing. I think the new version has a good amount of armour to skin which makes for some good contrast, but a few more bits wouldn't hurt. Azog is just too plain. It makes me feel like someone should just stab him in the back and take his place. In LOTR, armour served to make people appear more dangerous or stronger or many other things, but Azog feels unnatural, like he is either ridiculously overpowered or everyone else is too stupid just to stab him. There isn't any balance so he doesn't make for a believable villain (not to mention him giving orders to his father...)

Return to Tolkien