D O Smaug discussion

For all discussions of Tolkien's works.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

D O Smaug discussion

Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:15 am

So, I went to see it today, at the early show, being ultra excited. Im NOT going to bother with spoilers, but I will talk about the film.
I cant say it was bad because I like the movies period.......but.....
Bolg. I said it. Bolg in this movie, as discussed in the other topic had his original image changed.

Link(big picture) http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... /Bolg1.jpg

That was the original bold. A bad ass. Terrifying.

The new only is just a CGI Azog look alike. I get its his kid but the old one had a bloody dwarf beard, and amazing armor and weaponry, and the new one, I just couldnt get into. I dont see him being the leader of any armies later. Hes too boring. But oh well.

I honestly felt like there was a very small amount of action and most of the movie was them just standing around and hiding. Which, of course, they have to at points, I understand, but even the action scenes didnt do it for me.

And Beorn! His part was so small in the movie. I thought he'd have some sort of role outside the first 20 minutes or so. Oh well.

I did like parts, but it just didnt have that magic. I dont know if it was because I had bad sleep last night or what but I havent been so excited to see a movie since the last Hobbit and I was let down. Im not trying to argue or debate here, I just want to know everyones thoughts on the movie, for those of us who've watched.

I think though, that I do want a Tauriel figure now based off her stats and the movie too.

Im just thinking maybe some people were right wanting only 2 films for the Hobbit.

Everyones thoughts on it? I just enjoyed it, but feel like this movie really was filler.

Squire

Re: D O Smaug discussion

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:33 am

I have to wait till tommorow. So close, yet so far...
Check out my scenic base thread- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7305&start=10

Squire

Location: Angband, building an army of Balrogs to crush the Noldor and Gondolin

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:02 pm

Saw it yesterday as well. I agree that it lacked something, but don't know quite what. It seemed they were changing from one thing to the next before you could really get into it. Just my opinion. Still a f :!: :!: :!: ing great film though! Loved the action sequences and Bolg is epic. Can't wait to see his model.

Doesn't really stick to the book, more PJ's The Hobbit rather than Tolkien's (as quoted by som Tolkien maestro in an article. What they have done is cool though, lots more fighting.

I can't wait for the next film, only 364 days to go (maybe counting... :D )

Also, first scene, who do I notice but PJ himself walking out of a building in the bottom of the screen!
"I am fire. I am... death"

Check out my commission service:
http://terranovaterraincommissions.wordpress.com

Standard Bearer

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:17 am

I thought it was an excellent film. I love the LOTR references as it maintains the continuity between the 6 films. The Barrel/Spider scenes were great and I love the character development of Bilbo and his dialogue with Smaug. The only criticism I would give would be Tauriel's character. I think she could have been entirely eliminated at no negative cost to the film as she is responsible for that awful cringing love triangle.

Squire

Location: Angband, building an army of Balrogs to crush the Noldor and Gondolin

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:25 am

Lord Hyper wrote:I love the LOTR references as it maintains the continuity between the 6 films.

Yeah, love the bit with Gloin's picture frames (don't want to give away too much), the irony is great.
The guy next to me in the cinema was laughing his head off at some of the more cringy love scenes!
"I am fire. I am... death"

Check out my commission service:
http://terranovaterraincommissions.wordpress.com

Villager

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:50 pm

I always looked at the Hobbit as a child's book not like LoTR but expect both to have the same look and feel. With this in mind I went to the screening rooms in Cheltenham early on Friday and loved the movie.

However, Bolg looks like a spoilt brat not a leader of armies. His role in this movie could have been better or with more action. The love triangle didn't really bother me but I wouldn't have missed it if PJ hadn't included it. Smaug works for me and I liked Bilbo's interaction with him. The scenery was breathtaking at times and links very nicely to LoTR movies. Beorn looks great but would have liked to see him in action as the bear and more interact with the company during their visit to his house.

2 movies would have been better as I wasn't bored and could have sat through another hour without a problem but now expecting great things from the 3rd movie to finish all the current story lines and join these movies to LoTR.
Some people HOPE for things to happen
Some people WISH for things to happen
Successful people MAKE things happen

Warrior

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:18 pm

[quote="fat-hobbit"However, Bolg looks like a spoilt brat not a leader of armies. [/quote]
It's a good thing that's what he is then! Azog is the army general, and Bolg is his spoiled brat son. Bolg isn't the army leader. ;)

Villager

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Melkor the Mighty wrote:Saw it yesterday as well. I agree that it lacked something, but don't know quite what.
Also, first scene, who do I notice but PJ himself walking out of a building in the bottom of the screen!

1-yeah, I cant put my finger on what it lacked.

2-Yes I saw him, and thought that was awesome haha

Lord Hyper wrote:I thought it was an excellent film. I love the LOTR references as it maintains the continuity between the 6 films. The Barrel/Spider scenes were great and I love the character development of Bilbo and his dialogue with Smaug. The only criticism I would give would be Tauriel's character. I think she could have been entirely eliminated at no negative cost to the film as she is responsible for that awful cringing love triangle.

I guess yeah, the love triangle thing wasnt needed, but I didnt mind it one bit. I like that it kind of makes Legolas more blood-thirsty to just go and slay orc b*****s all day. He was definitely the badass of this film.

Melkor the Mighty wrote:
Lord Hyper wrote:I love the LOTR references as it maintains the continuity between the 6 films.

Yeah, love the bit with Gloin's picture frames (don't want to give away too much), the irony is great.
The guy next to me in the cinema was laughing his head off at some of the more cringy love scenes!

Yeah that picture frame scene was awesome....(spoiler? -Id love to see a young Gimli in the last film if even for a split second)

fat-hobbit wrote:I always looked at the Hobbit as a child's book not like LoTR but expect both to have the same look and feel. With this in mind I went to the screening rooms in Cheltenham early on Friday and loved the movie.

However, Bolg looks like a spoilt brat not a leader of armies. His role in this movie could have been better or with more action. The love triangle didn't really bother me but I wouldn't have missed it if PJ hadn't included it. Smaug works for me and I liked Bilbo's interaction with him. The scenery was breathtaking at times and links very nicely to LoTR movies. Beorn looks great but would have liked to see him in action as the bear and more interact with the company during their visit to his house.

2 movies would have been better as I wasn't bored and could have sat through another hour without a problem but now expecting great things from the 3rd movie to finish all the current story lines and join these movies to LoTR.

1-Yeah, the original Bolg model was one of my favorite character looks in the whole of the 6 movies.....

2-Beorn needed to have some role in this movie other than a half wit sounded forest man.

3-The Smaug part....dialogue was great but Id much rather have gone and listened to those two talk than see the goofy action scene at the end.....THAT, IMO, was the most childish thing. It was like a bunch of heros doing all these things in cards and on platform fooling a beast as almighty as Smaug and it was just a joke to me.

Squire

Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:11 pm

Just seen it. Liked it. Though it ended at such a good time. :(
Check out my scenic base thread- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7305&start=10

Villager

Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:13 pm

theavenger001 wrote:
fat-hobbit wrote:However, Bolg looks like a spoilt brat not a leader of armies.

It's a good thing that's what he is then! Azog is the army general, and Bolg is his spoiled brat son. Bolg isn't the army leader. ;)

Blog will become the leader if the story followed Tolkien's writings.

quote from lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Bolg
"In The Hobbit, Bolg was the son of Azog of Moria, succeeding him after his death in the Battle of Azanulbizar (the last battle of the War of the Dwarves and Orcs) in TA 2799 by Dain who became Dain Ironfoot."
Some people HOPE for things to happen
Some people WISH for things to happen
Successful people MAKE things happen

Next
Return to Tolkien