Bilbo's kill

For all discussions of Tolkien's works.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Re: Bilbo's kill

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Eldarion Telcontar wrote:Bilbo's such a badass. Frodo's got nothing on him. :lol:

If the orcs in Mordor took the ring from Bilbo, he probably would have battered his way through all of them! :D

Standard Bearer

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:27 pm

I want a bezerker version of Bilbo. Topless, sting in one hand and a severed spider's leg in the other serving as a club, his face and chest daubed with spider blood war paint, screaming his battlecry:

Its MIIIIIIINE!!!!!

Standard Bearer

Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:12 pm

When I saw this scene, I only thought that this Hobbit, use to a cleaner calmer life, was just revolted at the thought of a creature like that and didn't want to have to touch it (like a GF afraid of spiders & bugs, fella's know what I mean?). I think he was sickened by the sight of the thing, but because of the ring he was suddenly was brave (as Samwise the Brave showed us in ROTK) and did what he had to do for the sake of the rings power.

I didn't feel bad about some giant insect, evil or not.. Peter Jackson killed a ton of those in King Kong.

Bilbo really did find his courage in that cave.. a ring of courage.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Squire

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:04 am

Melkor the Mighty wrote:
Just my thoughts. Whatever it is, poor bugger.... :( Don't mess with a ringbearer :D

Unless it is Frodo, in which case the worst he will do is whine, and whine, and whine.... And then get showered with glory and praise for something he never did, and with the efforts of all who fought and died being dismissed.

Villager

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:45 am

Still can't say I am entirely sure on what the creature is. Cross between a trapdoor spider and some crab like creature ? I just don't know why GW didn't make a unit for it.

Trapdoor Spider Crab Creature 20 Pts. Independent Hero.

1F 1S 6D 1A 2W 2C 0/0/1

Special Rule: Trapdoor. If the Trapdoor Crab Creature wins a fight, instead of striking it can opt to reveal a trapdoor under the enemy, causing them to be trapped in a hole. Any model in a hole, count as being trapped and must roll a 4+ to get out? Something like that.

I just wish evil had some better representation in the new releases.

Standard Bearer

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:43 pm

RunePriestRidcully wrote:Unless it is Frodo, in which case the worst he will do is whine, and whine, and whine.... And then get showered with glory and praise for something he never did, and with the efforts of all who fought and died being dismissed.

couldn't let this go un challenged. :D
The sacrifice Frodo made was that he was going to be taken by the ring, turn on his every belief, and lose his innocence. He kept any other person from having to do that. any other would have bore the ring to their doom, Frodo may have been weak, may have been fragile, may have been soft, but he was truly a good friend to middle earth for carrying that burden all the way to Mordor. That his will was not up to the task in the end is a small matter as the deed was still done and thanks to him for making the decisions he made (to leave those that the ring would ensnare behind to venture alone, with Sam of course). The 4 hobbits have more courage than all the other members combined, for even without any skills, without any strength, without even any need or desire to battle, they went into danger to be with their friends. The others were tested (helms deep, paths of the dead, Gandalf at Khazad dum) but they were prepared for the fate the faced, the hobbit were not. I think that is what makes LOTR one of the greatest stories, David and goliath style.. copied in stories like, Willow, Star Wars, Harry Potter etc... The small innocent person finding courage and being the hero.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Standard Bearer

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:41 am

When I saw this scene, I only thought that this Hobbit, use to a cleaner calmer life, was just revolted at the thought of a creature like that and didn't want to have to touch it (like a GF afraid of spiders & bugs, fella's know what I mean?). I think he was sickened by the sight of the thing, but because of the ring he was suddenly was brave (as Samwise the Brave showed us in ROTK) and did what he had to do for the sake of the rings power.

That's an interesting analysis. I'll have to watch the whole film again to see which one I think. Did bilbo kill the spider out of bravery or out of possession?

Previous
Return to Tolkien