For all discussions of Tolkien's works.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Unearthed Recordings of Tolkien reveals true meaning of LOTR

Mon May 26, 2014 1:18 am

Standard Bearer

Re: Unearthed Recordings of Tolkien reveals true meaning of

Mon May 26, 2014 3:40 pm

The article is obviously written by a gushing fan as a advertisement to sell this later. The rest of us will hopefully not have to buy the recording in the fall to know what the Professor has to say about books we love so very much. Personally, I would hate to have a great trilogy ruined by it's author wagging his finger telling me it is something totally different than what is actually written. Cause I read the story, and there are several subtle things in there and each person will have a personal connection to different characters thus gaining a different view of what they think the story is about. So a tipsy professor hamming it up for a crowd will probably not bring about amazing new insights that are must hear news. I would rather the recording been documented and written down and put for all to hear or read for free instead of capitalized upon, sounds like a descendant of Saruman got his hands on the recording and decided to milk some cash out of it and a bit of fame too. Far better had we been to have a hobbit get the recording and share the tale with all who would want to hear it.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Villager

Re: Unearthed Recordings of Tolkien reveals true meaning of

Tue May 27, 2014 10:28 pm

Sithious wrote:The article is obviously written by a gushing fan as a advertisement to sell this later. The rest of us will hopefully not have to buy the recording in the fall to know what the Professor has to say about books we love so very much. Personally, I would hate to have a great trilogy ruined by it's author wagging his finger telling me it is something totally different than what is actually written. Cause I read the story, and there are several subtle things in there and each person will have a personal connection to different characters thus gaining a different view of what they think the story is about. So a tipsy professor hamming it up for a crowd will probably not bring about amazing new insights that are must hear news. I would rather the recording been documented and written down and put for all to hear or read for free instead of capitalized upon, sounds like a descendant of Saruman got his hands on the recording and decided to milk some cash out of it and a bit of fame too. Far better had we been to have a hobbit get the recording and share the tale with all who would want to hear it.

Good on you for not pulling your punches, I'm in agreement over the distribution. I think stuff like this should be widely distributed without cost to further everyone's analysis and understanding of Tolkein's writing. We know that Tolkein's middle earth was a dynamic concept over the course of his life so I'm not falling for the marketing ploy that this lost recording holds some sort of final, definitive answer as to 'what it all means'. This is a great find, but should be made available to all for free. I understand digital restoration costs money etc, I'm sure the presentation is nice too but really neither of these is an excuse in my eyes. Whilst were on it, all the fans out there who've paid massive amounts of money for Tolkein's letters ought to feel obligated, as fans, to make transcripts of their content available so as to further all of our understanding of Tolkein's works amongst everyone interested in his literature.

Return to Tolkien