Harad and Rhûn sharing Longitudes

For all discussions of Tolkien's works.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Harad and Rhûn sharing Longitudes

Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:40 am

I have been reading this book "Atlas of Middle earth" for a while, and I noticed something about the lands of Harad and Rhûn - the two of them share Longitudes east of Mordor and that many of overlap the land of Khand.

This suggests, at least to me, the the geographically correct term to use for Haradrim, Easterlings & Variags all at once is to say "Men of the East" to refer to the Longitudes they share. Think about it:

1. "Men of the South" implies that those "Southern Fiefdoms" belong to Harad rather than to Gondor [even though Lore tells us they are Gondor fiefs]

2. "Men of the Deserts" and "Men of the Sand" ignore the fact that the climate of Rhûn is far less hostile than the climate of Harad, making Rhûn a kind of Steppe, or as I'd put it, "pseudo-desert"

3. "Swertings" is a term only used by Hobbits and likely would not be used by the rest of Middle-earth's Western World

4. "Swarthy Men" mainly refers to the First Age ancestors these three sovereign nations of human have in common, and is extremely rarely used to refer to any of the three of them [Haradrim, Easterlings, Variags] in particular

5. The Longitudes they share are, according to the Atlas, Longitudes 40 and eastward. And let's not forget that all or most of Sauron's use of Mordor is of the western half of Mordor, as Longitude 40 is also the longitude between the western and eastern halves of Mordor. Thanks for your time.

Squire

Re: Harad and Rhûn sharing Longitudes

Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:51 am

Interesting observations.
Still think that the terms the people in Middle Earth use are always correct for them, since they are formed by their tradition and position in relation the other people.

In a way it is interesting to thing about longitudes when it comes to Middle Earth, in a way it isn't.
It is interesting when thinking about scenarios and campaigns, but not in a way that one sort of hunts mistakes.

I remember Tolkien saying in some interview that now everybody wants to know everything about Middle Earth: the biology, geography, ethnic traditions etc. That on the other hand he would like to answer it all, but on the other hand it is just a story with tragedies and symbolism etc.
(Who am I kidding, I want to know every scientific fact of Middle Earth..)

Return to Tolkien