Ignorance and hatred of non- SBG players

For all non-gaming related discussions. Please keep it clean and friendly.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Re: Ignorance and hatred of non- SBG players

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:22 am

When I read WD, I read every article, paint guide, and look at every page with interest. I love the hobby, so 40k WHF or LOTR doesn't matter, I learn something new about either painting or scenery, or what the other systems are doing. I am a well rounded hobbyist. For the most part, If I was not playing LOTR I would be rolling dice as a DM for AD&D 2nd edition as I know it so well that I hardly ever look anything up (and that is alot of books worth of knowledge and rules ha ha). I am into the story telling aspect of a game. So when I play LOTR, I love scenario's that follow a book or film event, but even when they don't, I am not as interested in winning as I am keeping my orcs in character.
So if a 40K or WHF player bashes LOTR, I don't get it because I would think that they would be interested in seeing new models and just wait there turn. GW will have them bent over the table soon enough taking money from their wallets, what is the rush? Besides that, they talk about how convertable WH kits are, so why don't they use the lulls to buy another box and build another regiment? Sure new stuff for the system they like, just like us, is always awesome and exciting, but I enjoy the peace between the releases to paint, build my armies, play a few matches, build scenery, and all that.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Standard Bearer

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:36 pm

What I like about LOTR models is that most of them are realistically proportioned and don't have any of this heroic scale nonsense!

Squire

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:38 am

Honestly, I read forums about bashing until I've had my fair share of non-sense. Well-mannered individual within a hobby would respect all aspects of the hobby itself instead of committing hours typing negative comments when they SHOULD be committing those hours to their respective hobbies.

Consider these forums a social experiment in action. I wouldn't take anything said seriously. Its a prime example of how far a "hobbyist" [in lack of better terms] would go to get attention. I, like many here, don't particularly hate on WH or 40k...but I don't particularly like it either. Not my thing. Nonetheless, I respect it for what it is. I feel the LoTR/Hobbit bashers should do the same.

Squire

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:23 am

You know what this is, It's internet cahone's. I'm so bloody sick of people getting lippy over the internet when they'd never say those things in person.
That's what i'm Tolkein about!

Site Admin

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:19 am

It can be a little aggravating, but it's a similar type of person who gets involved in the PS3 vs XBox360 arguments - they are both game systems, it doesn't devalue your own because someone else also enjoys theirs.

We have an event here called the Grand Prix, which has a Lord of War trophy for the overall winner across three systems (LOTR, 40K, Fantasy). That proved really successful at getting people to play across systems and stop griping about the other children getting Daddy-GW's attention.

So try not to take it too seriously.

:D

Warrior

Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:57 pm

I would compare it less to console gamers vs each other and more to PC vs console

PC gaming is far superior for all forms of gaming. Top PC gamers are a different level to Top console gamers.
PCs have better graphics, better frames per second and way better controls

but because there are a better level of top player, better everything you could ask for except packaging there is a chip in the shoulder of the console gamers. There is also the ignorance. People who truely believe that xbox has better graphics... LOL!!

This then combined with the fact that PC gaming is less "cool" means that people get a view of PC gaming that it is not as good nor as cool nor as fun.

Same for SBG in my opinion.
I play 40k and LOTR amongst others and most of my 40k mates play it because it is simple in a tactical way even if the rules take 1000 reads to realise that you really do get a cover save from your own men being in the way...

Villager

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:38 pm

cereal_theif wrote:PCs have better graphics, better frames per second and way better controls

I don't agree on the controls, in fact that is the only reason that I am a console gamer and not a PC gamer, because controls for PC games suck.

cereal_theif wrote:I play 40k and LOTR amongst others and most of my 40k mates play it because it is simple in a tactical way even if the rules take 1000 reads to realise that you really do get a cover save from your own men being in the way...

If it takes someone more than a single read-through of the rules to determine that you get a cover save from your own men, that's an issue with the person's intelligence, not the game, as the cover rules are particularly clear in this edition, especially with regards to interveining models. As for the overall point, yes the rules for 40k etc. can be badly written, but (a) this is the case for all GW games, including SBG, and (b) the majority of rules debates online are not generated by bad penmenship, but by the WAAC attitude that circulates leading players to try and tear loopholes in perfectly ok rules for their own benefit.

n00bn wrote:15 years of experience tells me that his type of activity (miniature gaming) attracts a lot of stupid people. Since 40k has the biggest community the get the biggest amount of retards.

And yet it is an SBG player that is making comments like this.

The problem here overall is that like in any case where a group start complaining that they are being bad mouthed, they in turn start bad mouthing other groups, which IMO takes away their right to complain. It is a shame that so many WHFB/40k players bad mouth LoTR, but (a) that doesn't make us all like that (I am a 40k player first and foremost), and (b) bad mouthing back just makes you a hypocrite.

Warrior

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:11 pm

Yes you get a cover save for being behind your own men... but if the cover save is made the men don't die
How this mechanic came into being I don't know.

You shoot at my man who is obscured by another of my own men. So he gets a cover save?? WTF!!
In the way rolls make so much more sense.

And if you practice on either PC or Games Console you get used to the control but on pc I can do much more efficient button programming. Such as when playing FPS games I bind the buying commands to the number pad so I don't have to enter hte buy menu. This means that while you are still buying items I am half way across the map. I have a button that does jump crouch and yet on your console you have to press jump and hten crouch. I can go on

Villager

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:51 am

Hard pressed to find anyone to play him? Hell I'd love to play couple games with this guy, he looks like he has more common sense and humbleness then most people that bash for no reason just because they don't like something.

Why bash someone for something they like or love if it doesn't hurt anyone? Useless negative output.

For the record since I don't subscribe to to White Dwarf anymore, how much did the ultimate bundle cost? In terms of US money? ;)
A painting is worth a thousand words, a GW miniature is priced about the same in money.

Villager

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:03 am

cereal_theif wrote:Yes you get a cover save for being behind your own men... but if the cover save is made the men don't die
How this mechanic came into being I don't know.

You shoot at my man who is obscured by another of my own men. So he gets a cover save?? WTF!!
In the way rolls make so much more sense.

All true, and sometimes it makes little sense, but it still doesn't take reading the rules more than once to see that, and that was the point you originally made that I responded to. I will never pretend GW games make total sense, but then again some realism has to be sacrified for balance (though they clearly struggle with this ratio on all fronts).

cereal_theif wrote:And if you practice on either PC or Games Console you get used to the control but on pc I can do much more efficient button programming. Such as when playing FPS games I bind the buying commands to the number pad so I don't have to enter hte buy menu. This means that while you are still buying items I am half way across the map. I have a button that does jump crouch and yet on your console you have to press jump and hten crouch. I can go on

But that's the thing; initially you said it as if it were a matter of fact, but the things you describe above as good things are many of the things that I and other console gamers hate. To each their own, that's the moral of the story.

PreviousNext
Return to Off Topic