About Lone Wolf

For all non-gaming related discussions. Please keep it clean and friendly.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Re: About Lone Wolf

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:27 am

Hmm they are aware that the world existed outside of the internet before 1998?

My warhammer friends used to use the term army builder/army building way back in 1993 when we even wrote some simple Pascal software to help.

Idiots. I have removed there site from our links page, it was out of date for our game system anyway.

Villager

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:27 pm

I should think Lone Wolf should change their name as not to cause confusion with Lone Wolf Roleplaying?

Standard Bearer

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:52 pm

If those guys want to copyright a name, at least think of an actual name, instead of the most basic and logical words describing the process put together. And if too lazy to think of an actual name, don't complain if others use similar or the same words when describing that same process. The fact that they failed to see the the words 'army builder' weren't even in the file names says enough about the professionalism.

Luckily, we can all be happy that Lone Wolf must have lost quite a bit of money to pay that lawyer. :mrgreen:

PS. Anybody able to build some 'force construction' software for the two Warhammer games? Competition, available for free online and of course devoid of the terms 'army' and 'building' - bet that would really make them mad (in as much as they aren't already).

Squire

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:44 pm

Lone wolf has entered war with the last alliance.We shall blot out the sun with arrows our rangers shall be given armour that needs two sixes to wound.Our allies from the one ring shall send out the dark lords and ringwraiths.TO WAR!
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Villager

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:02 pm

If I still owned the site I woudl do what privateer press did back in 2010 when LW tried this rubbish with them, they wrote a filter that replaced all references to LW army builder with a revival software so that now no mention of LW can be made on their forums but their competitors get mentioned.

Squire

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:31 pm

I'm sorry if it's insensitive but I found that whole conversation hilariously funny. :D So much little stuff I liked I don't think I could pick out them all. I guess it's just lovely to see someone talking back to lawyers in plain english.

How does trademark work, if the term hasn't been used in print before then they can trademark the name as a first pas the post type of thing? I think it's something like that, in which case I could understand how they got the trademark in the first place. Not sure if the fact that its an obvious choice to describe the application would rule it out as trademarkable.

I rather pity them for it tbh. I have never heard of Lone Wolf before this but Army Builder seems like an obvious choice to name such an item, your suggestions in your first reply are also good but lose some brevity. So if I decided to make such a spreadsheet for a newly released game and called it an army builder for that game, which seems like it could be a common enough occurence, they would feel forced to go through this whole process again. Then they have to pay god knows what to a lawyer, to generate a lot of badwill (I'm sure not using their products if I move into a game where they supply one) and I really don't see how much it benefits them.
An English professor wrote the words, “Woman without her man is nothing” on the blackboard and directed his students to punctuate it correctly.
The men wrote: “Woman, without her man, is nothing.”
The women wrote: “Woman: Without her, man is nothing.”

Standard Bearer

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Its both idiotic and genius of them all at once, to name and trademark their product as "Army Builder".

Idiotic, because its so generic and descriptive that everyone is naturally going to use those terms, and your product won't have a very memorable and distinctive brand name.

Its also genius, because you're appropriating two words very commonly used to describe that kind of software and product, thereby making it very difficult for your competitors to market their own products effectively (because "Army Builder" is pretty much a generic label and category that could be applied to all software of this type).

The Black Sword wrote: (I'm sure not using their products if I move into a game where they supply one) and I really don't see how much it benefits them.

They make rosters for Lord of the Rings, according to their website. They sound jolly expensive too.

Squire

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:14 pm

Yeah, being the top google search result and limiting competitors from being in there is the main benefit I can see, rather than any sort of "brand recognition".

Btw, when I went about that google search I found this:

http://www.forwardkommander.com/
and on the bottom of the page:

Note! This is not an "Army Builder". This application in which you can build armies can not be called "Army Builder", because a company called Lone Wolf owns the trademark on "Army Builder".

:lol:
An English professor wrote the words, “Woman without her man is nothing” on the blackboard and directed his students to punctuate it correctly.
The men wrote: “Woman, without her man, is nothing.”
The women wrote: “Woman: Without her, man is nothing.”

Standard Bearer

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:13 am

That guy is epic.
I sent him an email congratulating him on his hilarious sentence.

I did warn lone wolf that their emails make them look a lot worse than my edit, they didn't believe me.
Then again looking at their emails I'm not sure they get much.

Roland the trick is editing.
You write the first reply, mine tend to be sarcastic and acid. Then you edit it down until you believe it to be reasonable.
I'm afraid that with their level of stupidity I'd probably snap face to face.

Mithaearon wrote:Hmm they are aware that the world existed outside of the internet before 1998?

My warhammer friends used to use the term army builder/army building way back in 1993 when we even wrote some simple Pascal software to help.

It's mind blowing that they think the "it wasn't on the internet in 1998" argument makes sense.
I figured that someone must have used the term before since it's so generic. Thanks for confirming.

The Black Sword, it's not insensitive at all. Heck I laugh my head off at similar ocurrences like this all the time.
Had a couple of good laughs with my friends over these too.

From what I understand their software is similar to excel but more oriented to army building.
All actual gaming system files are made by fans.
So one open source alternative and they are out of business.

Villager

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:32 am

I like the irony of them. THeir product is based on leeching off other companies IPs, their company is derivitive if Lone Wolf RPG and they do stuff like this.

I once used their software. It was awful! Buggy, didn't really do what it needed to do, the UI is outdated, and plus the licence model is terrible. You have to renew (read pay) every year.

Guys, do not buy or use this software as there are other alternatives out there. I heartly recommend the founder of this threads. I have been using Lonely Knights "It's not an army builder" spreadsheet since he started it and it is perfect for our needs, plus it gets updated reguarlly.

PreviousNext
Return to Off Topic