Middle Earth: The Shadow Of Mordor

For all non-gaming related discussions. Please keep it clean and friendly.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Middle Earth: The Shadow Of Mordor

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:41 pm

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/mordor.aspx

Though this is just a preview, I am already on the defensive about this game. Mainly because they are grabbing a Aragorn like Ranger and mixing it with a Nazgul to make some UBER-fantasy character that they assume Tolkien fans want. They did the homework at least, but even so, it is kind of putting me off that they could not just use an already existing character like I don't know, Aragorn before the war of the Ring? Nah, that would come off as done already right... wrong, it would be cool. Or maybe just some very well balanced character (even made up) that is not a wraith, you don't need tricks to hunt orcs nor want to enjoy Middle Earth, 3rd age was well played and liked without this (though it brings the attention of a hero stabbed by a morgul blade back to the fore, so this new game is not that original after all).

I think this would be a great game if they took all references to Middle Earth out of it and made it a fantasy game inspired by Tolkien (if needed) instead. Heck call it fantasy asylum, that is a cool name and knocks on the Batman franchise they actually paid more attention to than the one they name. IMO. I hope they can change my mind later, I do like fantasy games, it would be a shame to pass this up waiting for the next Eldar Scrolls.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Standard Bearer

Re: Middle Earth: The Shadow Of Mordor

Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 am

Unfortunately there are few video games out there that give you the genuine middle earth feel as too many of them fall into the realms of generic fantasy. The best Middle Earth games I've played are Battle for Middle Earth 1 and the Return of the King game.

Standard Bearer

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:53 pm

A gameplay trailer has been released. Surprisingly, it looks quite good, from a purely gameplay perspective. Very similar to Assassin's Creed and Batman Arkham Asylum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fB64APq_jk

The Wraith theme looks a little silly though.

Villager

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:03 am

I have to admit, I do like the look of the game, from what the trailer shows..

But I don't think it's entirely appropriate for the setting of Middle Earth. I'm not exactly a Tolkien purist, and I believe Tolkien was open to the idea of people adding to Middle Earth (which i believe he mentions in his letter to Milton Waldman, which can be found in The Silmarillion).

It just feels a little.. Inappropriate. As in, it doesn't merge with the nature of Tolkien's mythology. It could have been a very interesting open world LOTR game, but it definitely does have a Assassin's Creed/Batman Arkham feel to it, as many of the youtube commenters have pointed out.

If it was set in a generic fantasy universe, I think it would be appreciated a lot more.

I'll probably get it a while after it has come out, so the price will drop. Here's to hoping it has an Xbox360 release..

Standard Bearer

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:14 am

Sticklander wrote:I'll probably get it a while after it has come out, so the price will drop. Here's to hoping it has an Xbox360 release..

According to wikipedia...

Platform(s) Microsoft Windows,[1] PlayStation 3,[1] PlayStation 4,[1] Xbox 360,[1] Xbox One[1]

Warrior

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:50 am

Wow, while I have to agree with most of what everyone here is saying about the game not really catching the spirit of Tolkien, but from a gaming perspective it looks really fun and entertaining.

It may be bit early to decide, but I think in the end I may be getting this one. :)
Who ever said swimming was easier then running never swam a 400 I.M.

Proud swimmer and athlete for Queen's University of Charlotte

Return to Off Topic