Motivation

For all non-gaming related discussions. Please keep it clean and friendly.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

Motivation

Wed May 28, 2014 8:45 pm

So, after painting regularly or making scenery regularly from 1999 to present, I have hit a snag. I don't know exactly what it is, but I now feel I am forcing myself to paint. I use to try to get out of events so I could work on projects or I would look forward to time off to get something done. Now I try to find something else to do.
My back log is huge still, filled with models I really want to paint and put in armies. I still have many projects going on. I still want to get better at sculpting to make some more things for my collections (like different shades, orcs, and other monsters). So what happened? I don't know, I had a slight increase in motivation when I started going to the One Ring, but the wind of those sails died fast and now I don't even look at anyone's WIP posts there. I just blech blah blah bleh. if that puts it better.

So.
Help! post things that help motivate you. blogs, sites, pictures, music, whatever it is that can jar me into my old self again. I should add, not just my painting is affected, as my hobby time use to clear my head and make me happy to face the world, now I face the world in a sour mood or deflated, without energy. Maybe I need to do some Yoga. :twisted:
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Standard Bearer

Re: Motivation

Wed May 28, 2014 9:53 pm

I know the feeling. In fact, I have encountered it multiple times over the past 10 years. There's been times where I didn't paint a single model in months. Meanwhile, I've easily painted 150+ models this year alone! It just comes and goes. If a painting snag hits, what I tend to do is start thinking about the models I own that have not been painted, and start thinking about army lists to use them in. I refuse to play the game with proxies or unpainted models, so if I want to use those models, I'll have to get started on painting them. Likewise, goals like tournaments or big battles also work. I just finished the final models for my latest tournament army a couple of days ago, and right now, I'm rearing to continue to paint, as our club is preparing to play a Battle of the Five Armies game.
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar

Standard Bearer

Fri May 30, 2014 11:25 pm

I'm sure you're motivation will return soon. I haven't painted in nearly a year, but this is not due to motivation, but due to the fact that I have recently moved to a different country, and I want to wait until I have moved all of my models in the same country I am in before I continue to start painting. But i have been watching the "making of" LOTR in the EE DVDs. I must say, they provide a lot of inspiration for me. Perhaps just flicking through a few of them would do the same for you!

Standard Bearer

Sat May 31, 2014 5:02 am

Today I ended up just playing music and letting myself just get into the tunes and I ended up painting quite a lot and getting my Isengard trolls done. Very relaxing session with some good tunes.

Squire

Sat May 31, 2014 7:47 pm

Yeah that happens to me a lot lately. I find the best thing is to look through sourcebooks, white dwarf ect. Though your motivation should come back soon!
Check out my scenic base thread- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7305&start=10

Squire

Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:50 am

Music is the key - White Zombie Astrocreep 2000 just got me through my current painting batch : )
A New Power is Rising!!

www.thedeadmarshes.com

Standard Bearer

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:15 am

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:Music is the key - White Zombie Astrocreep 2000 just got me through my current painting batch : )

Nice.
I tend to listen to a bunch of different bands, Almost 90% metal with very good guitar work.

Villager

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:08 pm

I feel your pain but on other fronts. I have little time to paint (family and job stuff :D ).
Summer is here and I have some new time to paint.

A little Tull etc to help the juices flowing.

BTW, post your Troll pix.

Standard Bearer

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:08 pm

Of course you can see these 5 plus all 14 Mordor Trolls, and 4 Cave Trolls on my blog. I am not the best painter there is but I think I have a consistent high tabletop standard to which I can be proud of.

Right after this period I was struck sick and it took almost two weeks to recover (still on meds for it) and was only able to produce two elves in that time. But I think I will get back into the swing, today for Fathers Day I received a $75 gift voucher for GW, so that helps inspire me to paint (even though I have most everything I want so I will be waiting for something new to come out, remake of Bolg would be great).

Standard Bearer

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:06 pm

What a lovely father's day present!

Next
Return to Off Topic