So what happened to TLA?

Find out the latest developments on the TLA website.

Moderator: Leaders

Site Admin

So what happened to TLA?

Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:29 am

Since you're here and reading this, you've obviously realised that something happened to TLA and that the old site has disappeared. Pretty much everyone asks the same question though, so I thought I'd explain what went on to take us to this point and what is happening to rebuild TLA.

We all know that The Last Alliance suffered from financial difficulties a lot over the last 6 years. The day I first joined the site back in October 2003, one of the news items was a message from Mithaearon saying he was having trouble paying the bills and the site would be taken down in a couple of days - well, it lasted 6 years longer than he expected, but the site finally succumbed to money troubles and collapsed. Mithaearon's lost all interest in the site in that time, but inexplicably held onto the ownership instead of passing it on to those people who cared about the place the most.

In recent months the hosting fees were not being paid and, despite the extraordinary generosity of the members and the mammoth efforts of a few dedicated staff (notably Hithero and LOTRChampion), the hosting company grew tired of waiting for their money and disabled the site. After a series of frustrating delays, Mithaearon finally handed control of the site to Hithero and Kain, but by then it was too late - the site had been deleted by the hosts and no database backups were saved.

Rather than let the site die without a fight, a few Rangers and dedicated members got together via Facebook and came up with a plan of action: build a new site from the ashes of the old one and spread the word to the old members so that the community doesn't fracture and disperse. We quickly put this forum into place as a rally point for old members to see what's going on and keep in touch, while a new modern site is being built - one that will have many of the best features of the old site, but combined with a fresh new style and approach. The financial details are being sorted out properly and a much more transparent and accountable arrangement put in place, so that TLA will never again suffer the neglect it had in the past.

The article library rescue attempt is being coordinated by LonelyKnight from old copies kept on an archive site. If you have your old articles, especially the photographs, please package them up and send them to LK. Once the new site is ready, he'll be uploading them back into the library.

The new site will take some time to build though. It's being written using a mixture of free software and custom-built modifications. Once it is done, or close enough to it, the Rangers and selected members will be let loose in it to help iron out any bugs. Once they are fixed (the bugs, not the Rangers), this forum's database will be uploaded and the URL will be moved to point to the new site and we are good to go. How long will this take? Difficult to say, but I expect we'll be back in business before Christmas (I do have other responsibilities as well), so this place will be your home for a few weeks I'm afraid.

So, what can people do to help? As I said earlier, article images are a big help. But spreading the word to your friends and gaming buddies that TLA is alive and regaining its strength is one of the best and easiest things you can do. In a week and a half we've grown to 150+ members, so there's only 4850 to go!

And welcome back!

Villager

Re: So what happened to TLA?

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:29 am

Great, thanks for that Alan, good to know exactly what happened.

A real shame the hosting company wiped the database - that would have been a goldmine of information (some more useful than others ...) and I'd imagine the articles would all fit onto a DVD and was going to ask if it was possible to buy a copy. Haha!

Looking forward to the future; if there is anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers,

Alex
The poster formally known as FaramirsMumma - Glad TLA is back, dudes!

Always chasing metal and finecast Orcs, and Wargs. Just drop me a PM if you're wanting to offload some :)

Villager

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:51 am

TLA back on the internet is for sure the best news this month. I will check all my old harddisks to see if there is anything saved that is useful. And of course, if help is needed with anything I´ll do what I can.

/Gondorian Captain, formerly known as Falcon on the old TLA

Villager

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi
It is good to see this revived. Although we only have 150 members at present Each mighty Oak was once nothing more than an acorn. Thanks for all your effort guys
Andrew

Villager

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:05 am

We all knew this would happen eventually so I'd just like to extend my thanks to all those who were involved in this revival process. I'm sure you've all sacrificed a lot more to get us here than you are implying in this thread.

I'm sure this won't be the end; just the beginning of a new chapter.

Villager

Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:24 am

Phew! Finally after a month of googling TLA ive got something! Cheers to all those people who are getting the site on its feet again! :D
and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered and each time that he slew Hurin cried 'Aure entuluva! Day shall come again!' Seventy times he uttered that cry; but they took him at last alive...

Standard Bearer

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:00 pm

I know. I googled it for like 3 months, then got banned from the comp for a month and come back to find its back up (sort of)
Congrats team. I will put in some articles when the site is properly up and running again
All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost.

I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and with my life I will protect you...

From the ashes a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadow shall spring.

Anduril! Anduril goes to war!

Villager

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:45 am

178 aaannnd rising :D

Can't wait for the return of tla.

Villager

Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:45 pm

I hope you guys can get it up again. tell me if I can help somehow. On my old computer i had saved a bunch of articles. Im sorry I didnt when i got this knew one.
A toast to Gondor, and her noble Allies!
-Thorin and company

Standard Bearer

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:00 pm

If there's anything I can do, let me know! Don't have anything saved up, sadly but I'd love to do my share. ;)

What about submitting new articles? Or is that too soon just yet? Not asking for myself personally but just in general. :)
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar

Next
Return to Website News