Should TLA Have User Blogs?

Find out the latest developments on the TLA website.

Moderator: Leaders

Warrior

Should TLA Have User Blogs?

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Hey folks,

So we have lots of people tracking their armies, and other projects, in the Hobby forums. We also have a lot of people who have offshoots from this into their own blogs - all great reads, with lots of sweet content.

My question to the fine people of TLA is this: would you find the ability to host your own blog on TLA a useful feature? Other Wargaming sites, notably "Bell of Lost Souls", have features such as this, so I wondered how useful an extension this would be.

Thoughts? Ideas?
James

Up for a game in Nottingham? Drop me a PM to arrange a battle!

Standard Bearer

Re: Should TLA Have User Blogs?

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:45 am

I don't know.... I like having my own independent blog.
http://bdhobbymadness.blogspot.co.nz/

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!

Squire

Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:46 am

It'd be nice to have a small gallery like we did on the old site, but I imagine the space required for everyone's blogs would be prohibitive?

Also, I always get really excited when I get traffic on my current blog, so I'd probably rather keep all my stuff together.

My vote is for a gallery though if that's not already happening :)
My website: www.freewebs.com/necromancer7/ - Hope you enjoy my galleries :)

Standard Bearer

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:34 am

The gallery is already happening. Not only has it been confirmed in the bugs thread, but also thats why theres the (currently) inactive link for it below the banner.
http://bdhobbymadness.blogspot.co.nz/

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!

Squire

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:23 pm

Yes I assumed that's what the link was for; I think that'll be fine on its own.
My website: www.freewebs.com/necromancer7/ - Hope you enjoy my galleries :)

Ranger

Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:02 pm

I think user blog would be beneficial to everyone, especially new players. At the moment there's not much out there in terms of sites and to find blogs you have to go through the internet in search or go through the networks of "who's following who on which blog". Instead having blogs on TLA would automatically give you feedback on what the person is doing and if you're interested.
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Standard Bearer

Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:00 am

Absolutely. I'd like to start a blog but havn't bothered as my gaming and hobby activities are very infrequent due to conflicting hobbies and university so setting up an external blog which I would rarely use would be pointless. I am however on this site everyday, so a Gallery and an internal Blog tool would be perfect for me.

Anyone who already has a blog, could simply use the TLA blog to plug their own existing blog.

Standard Bearer

Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:13 am

I think it would be a great tool for those who dont have blogs, or don't have alot of time elsewhere on the net and would make nice one stop shopping. would also be great for new comers or old timers to find useful pics, advice, tips, or common interests with each other outside the forums and articles.
the burden of babysitting the content of every members blogs would be more fun for the mods...so I hope your asking yourselves this question with due respect to the amount of work required.
As others said, I like my independant blog, I work alot on it to make each page neat and clean. At the same time I would use a blog on here to add seperate content for things I am working on.

Now is this so that we can lower the bandwidth on the forums or reduce pics being thrown up by....me....and others? I have heard in the past that pics load the page slower by some people, but my computer chucks them up fairly quick (like instant) so I was not sure if this is still a problem with people surfing the site.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Standard Bearer

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:24 am

I think a Blog would be great to have. As said, many people already use a topic for their own progress so apparently many people want to keep a Blog.
It would be very nice if the format was similar to the Blog of the old TLA for Rangers and (IIRC) Standard Bearers. You won't even need Galleries if you have Blogs. In fact, Blogs are better because then people can immediately reply to a specific model (not possible with galleries).
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Standard Bearer

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:08 pm

I'm going with Feanor on this one. The only hobby site I ever visit is TLA and quite frankly wouldn't mind having a user-blog that would not look stupid if I didn't update regularly. ;)
"Better to keep your mouth shut and seem like a fool, than to open it and confirm that you are."
Mark Twain
Armies: Dwarves, Misty Mountains
Unfinished LoME Profiles:
http://www.terrainguild.com/thelastalliance/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1295

Next
Return to Website News