Should TLA Have User Blogs?

Find out the latest developments on the TLA website.

Moderator: Leaders

Standard Bearer

Re: Should TLA Have User Blogs?

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:57 pm

ajgoodwin8194 wrote: quite frankly wouldn't mind having a user-blog that would not look stupid if I didn't update regularly. ;)

<cough> lotrchampion <cough> :P

Ranger

Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Oh yeah about the moderating of the blogs - for simplicity's sake I would allow it only to be available for high rank users because otherwise you'll get people who are just spamming theirs and/or 1st time registered people posting bad links on them.
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Warrior

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Eldarion Telcontar wrote:
ajgoodwin8194 wrote: quite frankly wouldn't mind having a user-blog that would not look stupid if I didn't update regularly. ;)

<cough> lotrchampion <cough> :P

Mmm? You rang?

Re: Blog moderation & requirements. My current thoughts are either:

1) Minimum post count only
2) Article Contributors only

Obviously the second would be once the Article Database returns properly. Thoughts?
James

Up for a game in Nottingham? Drop me a PM to arrange a battle!

Warrior

Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:55 pm

I would go for minimum post count, and/or you have to be approved by a mod somehow as well.

Squire

Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:07 am

Minimum post count seems the easiest option, provided we didn't end up getting pointless posts merely for the sake of upping the count.
My website: www.freewebs.com/necromancer7/ - Hope you enjoy my galleries :)

Standard Bearer

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:38 am

Necromancer wrote:Minimum post count seems the easiest option, provided we didn't end up getting pointless posts merely for the sake of upping the count.

And I think that is what will happen. It seems that just that has already happened on the temporary forums because our ranks were determined by the number of posts.
I think it's much better to allow the Blogs for user who've uploaded an article. Of course, the same system of uploading should be used (with Rangers checking it) to keep high quality articles.
It would also motivate people to write qualitatively good articles for the site: can't be a bad thing!
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Villager

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:18 pm

Tbh i would only use a dedicated blog site that is less likely to be down, less likely to have hosting problems and less likely to be hacked.

I wouldn't want to risk having my blog hosted on a wesite where if the owner didn't pay the bills (cor example) it could be removed, we've had evidence of sites going stagnant and even the forum providers not paying the bills. Palantir is dead now, though i'm sure good content on there, but wouldn't suprise me if it disappears and as we speak One Ring is down also.
Dave / Aurielia (web/gaming name)
Game blog: http://pippins-window.blogspot.com/

WoTR: Lothlorien Army. From the UK leeds; want a game PM me!

Standard Bearer

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:10 pm

Well if you blog regularly then of course an external blog would be best for you. But for those who rarely or never blog like me, an internal one would be great.

Villager

Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:21 pm

I think that Blogs would be a great addition to the site, personally I also think they'd be best in the format of the old blogs that were available for staff and Standard Bearers, rather than a BoLS style Blog (I've never liked that website). As for who it would be available, I think only having the feature available for those with a certain rank or higher like before is the best option. Readable to everyone of course.

PS - Excellent job with the site to everyone involved. Nice to see things are picking up at last :)

Villager

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:31 pm

What about just a list where members of the site posted a link to their blog? Many people already have a blog.

PreviousNext
Return to Website News