The long-term plan of TLA

Find out the latest developments on the TLA website.

Moderator: Leaders

Standard Bearer

Re: The long-term plan of TLA

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:39 am

Not gonna be pushing anyone to do this, but here's an idea:
Say you're organizing a tournament, and charge a fee to cover the costs (prize support, location, etc.)
Now, usually, if you planned your tournament well, there might be some leftover money from the participation fee. Rather than pocket this (which would be the wrong thing to do), you could donate it to TLA, and give back to the community. You could also promote TLA at your tournament, recruiting new members.
Armies:
Kingdoms of Men(Minas Tirith, Fiefdoms, Arnor), The Free Peoples(Durin's Folk, The Fellowship, The Wanderers in the Wild, The White Council), Mordor, The Fallen Realms(Isengard, Harad and Umbar, The Eastern Kingdoms), Moria & Angmar

Ranger

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:34 pm

GrashnarTheSecond wrote:Not gonna be pushing anyone to do this, but here's an idea:
Say you're organizing a tournament, and charge a fee to cover the costs (prize support, location, etc.)
Now, usually, if you planned your tournament well, there might be some leftover money from the participation fee. Rather than pocket this (which would be the wrong thing to do), you could donate it to TLA, and give back to the community. You could also promote TLA at your tournament, recruiting new members.

This is the eventual plan, though more often than not the events Craig and I run/will run see us out of pocket. Though we do promote TLA :)

Standard Bearer

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 pm

As you plan on getting more articles on the site, I think it would be nice to have another (sub)forum: Article Feedback. I know people can leave feedback under the articles themselves, but I haven't seen a single reply there yet. Making an extra forum would also be good for getting more attention to the articles. :)
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Ranger

Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Like I said to Craig earlier I like a lot of the new ideas. Luckily for promotional reasons all GW stores have facebook pages. Might be worth advertising TLA on there. I already started, posted on GW Windsor a link to here with the following message
The Last Alliance - One of the 2 main LotR SBG/WotR forums in the UK. Active since 2003. Members include multiple Grand Tournament winners and regular GT attendees (top 8 from this year's GT can be found posting there). Site has a very good army building forum: http://www.thelastalliance.com/

I talked to the manager before doing that and he said it's fine, but I would guess they'll all be fine, in the end they want more attention for the game anyway! I'm gonna put that on Bromley, Reading and Kingston today or tomorrow as well, unless any mods have anything against that?

By the way, I think it's worth mentioning - I went to a GW for the first time in a million years last Saturday and after asking if anyone's got any LotR stuff for a game it appeared that 6 out of the 10 people present had LotR stuff with them... there was never a better time to bring LotR back to its former glory guys! It's not up to GW to make the hobby popular again, it's up to us!
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Ranger

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 pm

Agreed BM.

I'm going round the GWs in my area (Manchester, Altrincham and Bolton) to try and get some games and gamers. Also, if you're ever free for a game e.g. you always have wednesday off, then let your GW know and they will have some form of book/register etc that they will add you to in case another lotr gamer or someone interested wants to have a few games.

It's also worth playing with typically weaker or more iconic armies and letting new players win/draw games. I intend to use my rohan army quite a lot against my newer opponents and a 'fluffy' goblin list e.g. No Spider Queen, no prowlers, no blackshields. Units that are more likely to die in combat basically. Since it makes the game a little less of '6 to kill' and more enjoyable for new comers.

Then when they're into the game and suitably trained in the basics I'll rock out the GT forces and put them in their place ;)

If we can get some TLAers to effectively promote the site and the game then we are bound to see a slight increase in the number of people coming to tournaments etc. Perhaps a group of us could run tournaments for TLA with a percentage of takings going to the running costs of TLA.

Villager

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:42 pm

It's also worth playing with typically weaker or more iconic armies and letting new players win/draw games. I intend to use my rohan army quite a lot against my newer opponents and a 'fluffy' goblin list e.g. No Spider Queen, no prowlers, no blackshields. Units that are more likely to die in combat basically. Since it makes the game a little less of '6 to kill' and more enjoyable for new comers.

When you played that ginger kid in the NWGS didnt you go full wood elf? ;)

I mentioned your tourny to the manager at GW Stockport, I will pop a link for the TLA on the facebook page and the next time I go in I will sniff out the LOTR seen properly.

Ranger

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:52 pm

Sam wrote:When you played that ginger kid in the NWGS didnt you go full wood elf? ;)

There are two reasons for that:

1) he had saruman and a troll
2) he's a ginger kid

Ranger

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:19 pm

The Newbie wrote:It's also worth playing with typically weaker or more iconic armies and letting new players win/draw games. I intend to use my rohan army quite a lot against my newer opponents and a 'fluffy' goblin list e.g. No Spider Queen, no prowlers, no blackshields. Units that are more likely to die in combat basically. Since it makes the game a little less of '6 to kill' and more enjoyable for new comers.

Also make sure that you play with fully painted armies :)

Somehow I didn't pull out a SQ either, just a Fell Beast... I guess making a suboptimal wood elf list could be good because whenever you lose combat you die and you could handicap the list into having lower chances of winning.
BlackMist - 2 times UK LotR Champion.
Coordinator of the Great British Hobbit League.
Click to view the rankings
Join the Facebook group to stay up to date with the latest Tournaments

Standard Bearer

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:44 pm

BlackMist wrote:
The Newbie wrote:It's also worth playing with typically weaker or more iconic armies and letting new players win/draw games. I intend to use my rohan army quite a lot against my newer opponents and a 'fluffy' goblin list e.g. No Spider Queen, no prowlers, no blackshields. Units that are more likely to die in combat basically. Since it makes the game a little less of '6 to kill' and more enjoyable for new comers.

Also make sure that you play with fully painted armies :)

Somehow I didn't pull out a SQ either, just a Fell Beast... I guess making a suboptimal wood elf list could be good because whenever you lose combat you die and you could handicap the list into having lower chances of winning.

Jamie took full shooting, took Saruman off in turn 1 and I had to tell him to let the kid put Saruman back. Power gamer ftw.

Standard Bearer

Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Fëanor wrote:As you plan on getting more articles on the site, I think it would be nice to have another (sub)forum: Article Feedback. I know people can leave feedback under the articles themselves, but I haven't seen a single reply there yet. Making an extra forum would also be good for getting more attention to the articles. :)

Done.

PreviousNext
Return to Website News