Cookies

Find out the latest developments on the TLA website.

Moderator: Leaders

Villager

Cookies

Sat May 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Does this site use cookies? Yes
Did the site get "informed consent" from me before it recorded any detailed information in the cookies on my computer? No

Is this breaking the law? Possibly

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/privacy_and_electronic_communications/the_guide/cookies.aspx

Has anyone looked into this properly?

Villager

Re: Cookies

Sat May 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Forgeworld simply made a pop up to comply with the new regulations, its not an overly complex law

This is what the law requires:
a person shall not store or gain access to information stored, in the terminal equipment of a subscriber or user unless the requirements of paragraph (2) are met.
(2) The requirements are that the subscriber or user of that terminal equipment-
(a) is provided with clear and comprehensive information about the purposes of the storage of, or access to, that information; and
(b) has given his or her consent.
Regulation 6 of the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 (PECR)

There is loads about how to comply with the new law and there's stuff online about it.
Last edited by Sam on Sat May 26, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Standard Bearer

Sat May 26, 2012 6:34 pm

That's kind of a strange.
I think this site only uses cookies to store your password so you stay logged in.
I have no idea how to add an explanation saying that it stores a cookie next to the "stay logged in" entry.
Everytime you choose a stay logged in option you are storing a cookie in case anyone doesn't know that.

I don't know how to do a cookie audit tbh. I really think this site only uses cookies to store the password.

Villager

Sat May 26, 2012 7:25 pm

Surely it would be phpBB who would need to update their forum rather than the admins having to figure out how to do it?

Standard Bearer

Sat May 26, 2012 10:18 pm

That would make more sense
Otherwise the current ease with which someone can create their own website/forum will be lost.

Squire

Sun May 27, 2012 6:33 am

Most of the cookies set by a forum come under "strictly necessary", so don't require consent. If you tick the remember me box then you are giving consent (although maybe it needs explaining that a cookie is being set) for the cookie to automatically log you in.

The law is really aimed at advertisers.

Warrior

Mon May 28, 2012 7:20 pm

[rant]
I hate this law. It is stupid, misguided, badly implemented, and while the abstract concept of protecting consumers is alright, it has been applied by people with no understanding how these technologies work.
[/rant]
---

On a more productive note, there are actually quite a few cookies used by TLA, or rather, by WordPress and phpBB. I count 12 on my machine. You may well be able to find a WordPress plugin capable of providing the required user acceptance capabilities, but someone will need to perform an audit of the cookies which this site provides.

Alternatively, given that this site is a very small, non-commerical, not-for-profit website, with no affiliation with any formal organisation, and that the UK and EU regulators have openly said that they aren't prosecuting this law actively at the moment....you could just ignore it. Just bear in mind that the risk is a £500,000 risk. ;)
James

Up for a game in Nottingham? Drop me a PM to arrange a battle!

Return to Website News