FEEDBACK on the new Forum

Find out the latest developments on the TLA website.

Moderator: Leaders

Site Admin

FEEDBACK on the new Forum

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:11 am

Hi, the new TLA forum went live today, with a whole new updated look. One of my favourite new features is the 'View New Posts' button at the top, which is the quickest simplest way to see all the posts that are new since the last time you visited.

There are some more forum changes along the way, and then in about two weeks a whole new News, Article and Hobby section of the site will launch -- that's when it gets really exciting.

Feedback is welcome, especially if you stumble across any bugs.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy the new TLA.

Standard Bearer

Re: FEEDBACK on the new Forum

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:06 am

I think it looks good and simple. OR always has the nicest graphics but it also gets slow sometimes. TLA should keep to what it was in the glory days, good and simple. Can't wait for the article section (and hopefully campaign haha) to go up.

Warrior

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:06 am

Ooooooo pretty! :D

Thanks Matt, far better than my old hashed attempt was. But then, design isn't exactly my forte!

A few thoughts:

- I am a big fan of the squared buttons with a highlight colour, across all platforms - I use a Windows Phone, and actually like the Windows 8 interface as well, so it fits well into design aesthetics that I enjoy. At the moment, a lot of the phpBB buttons still use the older, out of the box styling. If they were changed to follow the aesthetic you have set, I think the experience would be much more consistent.

- The game we know and love is currently marketed as 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Strategy Battle Game'. TLA is advertised as for the Lord of the Rings SBG. While we know they're one and the same, it might not be immediately obvious to newer players. Perhaps a change of tagline is in order?

Anyway, once again, cracking work! Thanks!
James

Up for a game in Nottingham? Drop me a PM to arrange a battle!

Warrior

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:15 am

@Lotrchamp.: I didn't know you were an admin, cool

The new site is great!! I like that the 'new posts' button is there permanently... thats a feature I really like on OR :)

It's good to see this forum looking nice again *thumbs up*

Also: the smiley buttons don't seem to work
What we need is a few good 'taters.
What's 'taters, precious? What's 'taters, eh?
Po-tay-toes! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant
backlog comlete: 2/80

Squire

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Small minor comment: In the last post section, you used to see the name of the thread and it was a link to the thread itself. I often found this quite handy, would be a shame if it's gone.

The website looks quite nice though!
An English professor wrote the words, “Woman without her man is nothing” on the blackboard and directed his students to punctuate it correctly.
The men wrote: “Woman, without her man, is nothing.”
The women wrote: “Woman: Without her, man is nothing.”

Istari

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:42 pm

I think making the site Hobbit instead of LOTR would be a good idea as the site is going under a new look, it would be a good time to do so.

Villager

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Looks nice and clean.

Off topic a smidge, but when the movies are done with I think GW should rebrand the game Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game, then it's a catch all for both movie series :D

ANyway, yeah like the new look and features.

Villager

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:50 pm

The forum looks incredible guys, well done.

Villager

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Love the new look! I have noticed that if you try to just press the button for smilies it bumps me back to the top of the page for some reason rather than insert the smilie... lemme try again ... nope I have to manually type them in... Otherwise, I LOVE the new layout!!!

Standard Bearer

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Great work!

"The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game" should probably do the trick for now, although GW should actually have just called it Middle-earth indeed, especially the rulebook (seperate products are to be used for one or the other, but the rules are for both).
Only minor gripe I have is that it seems unable to write my name well, at the moment it says 'LOGOUT [ COëN ]', but I can't find that all too important.
Big 'VIEW NEW POSTS' button is very nice indeed, at the old site I occasionally clicked 'Mark forums read' instead of 'Show recent posts', which was a tad annoying. Good to see the banner back too!

Next
Return to Website News