Black Guard of Barad-Dûr (Picture Heavy)

For all discussions on converting your miniatures and using suitable models from other manufacturers.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Black Guard of Barad-Dûr (Picture Heavy)

Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:00 am

As I've said before I have more Númenóreans then I really need, So I've started some projects to save me some money and sculpt somethings I'd like to use. First Númenórean I turned into a Warrior of Arnor. Second one i've done is Black Guard of Barad-Dûr. does anyone have a size comparison of a black guard versus MT warrior?
Here's the Black Guard/Númenórean. i'll throw up a painted picture in a few days. Anyone have any other ideas for what i can convert anymore Númenóreans into?
I'll post some tutorials if anyone is interested.
Blackguard.jpg
Blackguard.jpg (26.07 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
Last edited by Prime505 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squire

Re: Black Guard of Barad-Dûr

Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:17 pm

I enjoyed converting this guy so much I had to paint him straight away.
so normal Númenórean, Black Guard and Warrior of Arnor.
Númenórean needs a repaint and the Arnor shield is alittle shabby. but you get the idea.
Guard.jpg
Guard.jpg (48.23 KiB) Viewed 3120 times

Standard Bearer

Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:24 pm

Very nice work on those conversions! I'd love to see a tutorial on how to make the black guard that way, as I've got 24 spare Numenoreans, and no intention to make any use of them as they are.
http://bdhobbymadness.blogspot.co.nz/

May the wind under your wings bear you to where the sun sails and the moon walks!

Villager

Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:53 pm

I demand a turoial :P Nicely done.
Me wanna Lasagna and beer!!

Standard Bearer

Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:27 pm

That looks awesome, now I know what to do with my old Numenoreans, a tutorial would be awesome :P

Standard Bearer

Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:25 am

Wow, that looks incredibly effective! Even the arnor warrior as well!

Standard Bearer

Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:52 am

They look great (also the Warrior of Arnor)! I think the Black Guard looks even better than the ones from GW! :) It's much better to scale I think.
You could also call them Black Numenoreans by the way, for obvious reasons.
A tutorial would be nice indeed. ;)
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Squire

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:06 am

Here is a very simple tutorial on how to make nice Black Guard using last alliance Numenoreans.
Things you'll need. Epoxy putty, putty tool, sharp knife and plasticard.

Equipment.jpg
Equipment.jpg (35.03 KiB) Viewed 3041 times

So first off you want to cut the wings off the helm,shave the raised area of the Surcoat by his legs (this is important for making the mail.. wasn't until I was onto my third guy I did this.. much easier) and shave the bottom of the white tree of gondor(if you want to use the raised part to be the eye of sauron) I also cut the end of the sword to make it more orcy as well as the hand guard.
Points2Cut.jpg
Points2Cut.jpg (40.55 KiB) Viewed 3041 times

Making the Helm you want to make a small ball of putty, smaller then the mans head. place the putty on top of his head and smooth it downwards, I kept the cheek guards that were already on the model and the neck guard. you basically want half a ball shape on his head.

Helm.jpg
Helm.jpg (33.36 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
Last edited by Prime505 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Squire

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:16 am

Next you want push the putty using the putty tool away from his eyes (1).. a tooth pick could be used instead of a tool if you need. (2) There is two much putty in this pic, hence why I drew a redline through it.. as you only need half of it. Use a thin peice of putty and lay it across his nose and go from cheek to cheek, you may need to hollow the eyes out again.
Helm2.jpg
Helm2.jpg (23.52 KiB) Viewed 3041 times

Making the chain is pretty simple.. just spread putty over the folds of the Surcoat and the sleeve that holds the sword (i ignored the other arm as it is hidden by the shield) you want it to be relatively thick as this will help make it look chain mail. next take a a sharp point, I used my knife Point (tooth picks work) and create holes for the mail.. I did it in lines,but its a bit of a mess on some of them, the best way to do it is to slightly pull down in one line of chain and slightly pull up on the other.. this gives it a wavy chainmail effect. I just poked holes tho :? .
Chainmail.jpg
Chainmail.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 3041 times

ChainBack.jpg
ChainBack.jpg (41.85 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
Last edited by Prime505 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Squire

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:28 am

ChainShield.jpg
ChainShield.jpg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 3040 times

I can't give the Greatest advice for making the shields as I did it mostly by sight. The shield itself is bigger then the model standard shield cut from plasticard roughly hacked into shape. The first one I made with the metal spike on the bottom but I abandoned that as it was a lot of work and very fiddly. when using the putty you want only a tiny amount for making the eye, the small the better.. It makes the models really stand out but it could be more easily painted on. Thats it, Easy!!
all you need to do is paint them up and kill some manlings
BlckGrd.jpg
BlckGrd.jpg (74.2 KiB) Viewed 3040 times

BlckGrd2.jpg
BlckGrd2.jpg (64.06 KiB) Viewed 3040 times

Next
Return to Conversions