Hobby Drills

For all discussions on converting your miniatures and using suitable models from other manufacturers.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Hobby Drills

Thu May 21, 2015 7:57 am

I am looking to get more heavily into converting - done some basic work previously and have only just begun to work with some putty etc but essentially with the first waves of models i bought i didnt really want to risk ruining them if i got it wrong!

I want to convert a set of Minas Tirith warriors i have picked up cheaply into men at arms of dol amroth and wondered if anyone could advise me the best drill to get for drilling holes in hands this size (LOTR are a lot smaller than fantasy orcs or space marines) - will then look at possible pikes to use - it seems there are a few sites with options available

Squire

Re: Hobby Drills

Thu May 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Your best bet is to get a set with a variety of jewlers bits and at least 2 pin vices. Everytime I get ready to drill a hole for a pin or piece of equipment I compare the item to my available bits - and as often as not I find pins/pieces from the same source have slight variences.

Pick the bit just a bit small at first pass... keep in mind that you can always make a too small hole bigger but cannot make a too large hole smaller.

A tip that I was taught is alway use at least 2 bits to make a critical hole: first with a smal/fine pilot hole to get it right where you want it and to remove some of tthe material. The second (or sometimes third) pass should be wth a bit just barely large enough for your insert. By making ever increasing passes you increase your control and reduce the likelyhood that you will warp or deform the material around the hole.

As to your question regarding where to get pikes, the Perry Miniatures web store sells wire spears with long hammered/pressed tips that are a great scale to WoMT ffigures (though you may want to trim the overall length -personal preference)

Good luck!

Villager

Re: Hobby Drills

Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:33 pm

thank you - much appreciated - any advice on where to source a good set from as i guess they wont be cheap?

Return to Conversions