Campaign help

For all discussions on any new or revised rule mods for LOTR games.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Campaign help

Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:14 am

So I'm trying to make a campaign using the map from the war of the ring board game and I'm wondering if anyone has already made some rules for something similar. None of my friends or I have ever played a campaign so making one seems daunting to us. Any help is appreciated

Standard Bearer

Re: Campaign help

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:20 am

Ah, yes, campaigns! A delight to play, if you have the time and players stay motivated.

Here's an example of someone who's done a LotR campaign (on a home-made map):
http://www.hourofwolves.org/?view=campa ... rOfTheRing
And here are the rules he (Neldoreth) made:
http://www.hourofwolves.org/content/art ... People.pdf

Those rules are excellent and provide a very good basic rule-set. His rules are based on movement on a map without regions. The WotR map does have regions, so you would have to come up with some rules for movement that go well with those regions. I would suggest something simple like: every Normal Army can move 1 region per turn, and every Cavalry Army can move up to 2 regions per turn. Then, if an army wants to move to a region that is occupied by an enemy, a battle ensues and you play a battle on the tabletop! :)

I would suggest you read the rules I linked to above. If you want to add more depth to your campaign, I can help as well. In the past few years, I've been working on a whole campaign rules-set of myself and I can give more tips to make things interesting, if you like. ;)

Most importantly about a campaign: enjoy! You can always modify all rules as you feel fit, as long as enjoyment is achieved for all players.
Also known as "Fëanor, the mighty elf"

Villager

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:58 am

Hey thanks I have seen that rule set and we were going to use some aspects of it in our rule set. The real question we had I on the war o the ring board there are already symbols that show which territories are worth more, but we were looking at how to translate this into points that we get each round. We were going to have 3 types of territories, city, town, and a farmland region as the lowest, but to make it balanced an to have the armies not be huge just wondering the points value I each of our spaces

Standard Bearer

Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:16 pm

If you want to stay close to Neldoreth's rules, I would suggest the following. He uses Cities, Towers and Towns. On the War of the Ring board, you have Strongholds, Cities and Towns (and Fortifications). I would suggest using the WotR Fortifications and certain WotR Strongholds (Helm's Deep, Morannon) as Towers, using the WotR Towns as Towns in the campaign, and use the rest of Strongholds as Cities in the campaign. In Neldoreth's rules, he gives 100 points worth of reinforcements to Cities and 50 to Towns, IIRC.

You don't need to stay close to his rules, and you can of course change things as you like. I cannot really answer what type of reinforcements would be good, as I don't know the starting army values.
I would suggest, though, that players should be able to get roughly (and this is a very rough estimate) 25% of their starting total points value worth of reinforcements every 4 Play Phases.
But, as always, you can just estimate some good values, and see if it works. If you see after a few Campaigns turn that there are too many/too few reinforcements, you can just decrease/increase the points worth of reinforcements for everyone (or for some players only). :)

Villager

Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:16 am

True if its really not working im sure no one would care about adding or nerfing the values. I do like that rule set too. I guess my next step is to start writing a campqign backstory and give objectives. Gonna be fun to see how things play out. Looks like a war will be brewing in middle earth and the kingdoms of men elves and dwarves will have tofight back the goblin swarm of the mountains, the legions of isengard and the hordes of mordor orcs in order to once again bring peace to the land.

Squire

Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:37 pm

Rickybobby17b wrote:True if its really not working im sure no one would care about adding or nerfing he values. I do like that rule set too. I guess my next step is to start writing a campqign backstory and give objectives. Gonna be fun to see how things play out. Looks like a war will be brewing in middle earth and the kingdoms of men elves and dwarves will have tofight back the goblin swarm of the mountains, the legions of isengard and the hordes of mordor orcs in order to once again bring peace to the land.

Don't forget harad and Rhun!
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Standard Bearer

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Cool! Sounds like a good plan. If you need any more help, just post here, or send me a PM. I can also give my opinion on more specific question, if you like.

Keep us updated on your campaign, and most importantly: have fun! :)

Return to House Rules