Battle Companies, December 2013

For all discussions on any new or revised rule mods for LOTR games.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Re: Battle Companies, December 2013

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:48 pm

My luitentant(no idea how its spelled)had to retire(leg wounds)What happens now?Does one of my sargents become the leader and get 1 might and will added to his profile?
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warrior

Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:00 pm

No nothing happens.
Lust,Gulttony,Greed,Sloth,Wrath,Envy,Pride.

Squire

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:37 pm

Just started to get into the "Battle Companies (2014)" and very excited about it...

One thing, The Reinforcements Table; how/when do you use it? Is it just in specific scenarios or can it be used in any points match games?

It is probably there in the rules - great rules - somewhere, but couldn't find it.

Villager

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:30 pm

I believe the reinforcement table is used after a match if you have enough gold to "purchase" reinforcements. You add that warrior to your Battle Company for the next game.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Squire

Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:33 am

Ok. Makes sense. Thank you.

Villager

Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:38 pm

You can also spend Gold to influence the Reinforcement die roll itself, either up or down, for the cost of 1 Gold for each increase or decrease of the original roll. Useful to get into the Elite table, or to get a better unit depending on what you need.

Squire

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:18 pm

Ok. Thanks.

Standard Bearer

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:36 am

Battle Companies used to be Influence points, not gold. Either way works, but for understanding the concept, influence works well. You are a captain, tasked to lead a small band of warriors to defend or attack an area for your lord (whomever you serve). When you do well, you earn influence with your lord and thus when you call for reinforcements he sends them... with it being a point system you can picture a lord looking at a written request and saying "yeah he is doing well, send him some more troops and wargear" and at the same token, "wait, that captain keeps losing battles and men, I am not sending him any more until I see some results."

The new system is with Gold. So you earn Gold and can purchase equipment or reinforcements between matches. Then of course you need to redo the rating for your BC as this rating is important to gain re-rolls or gain more Gold for matches against tougher BC's.

Enjoy the BC's man.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Squire

Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:12 am

Battle companies are getting ready for the first blood.

Yet some questions:

Companies can get reinforcements and equipments with gold between the battles, but can one roll for the Advancement Table during the battle, as soon as enough experience points is gathered? So an orc just turns into moron orc suddenly?

When running away from your enemies because of a failed courage test after the force has been broken, can one use magic or can not? This was a bit unclear in the otherwise magnificent rules.

I was reading some old White Dwarf from a time they had the Battle Companies campaign online and some GW guys where telling about the progress of their armies. They had mûmakils and war machines. This is not in the pdf Battle Companies rules. Was it probably something they had then, but was difficult to transform for the new rules? Not that we would need monsters and machines, there is plenty to play without them, but just curious.

Villager

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:12 am

Kalle wrote:Companies can get reinforcements and equipments with gold between the battles, but can one roll for the Advancement Table during the battle, as soon as enough experience points is gathered? So an orc just turns into moron orc suddenly?

No, the rolls can only be made after the battle. If it was made during the battle this would, for example, affect the Battle Company Rating during the battle.

Kalle wrote:When running away from your enemies because of a failed courage test after the force has been broken, can one use magic or can not? This was a bit unclear in the otherwise magnificent rules.

Well, in the latest rules (https://battlecompanies.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/battle-companies-february-2014.pdf) it says the following:
"However, it can still use any magical powers it has, so long as it can normally use them while it is moving."

So yes, magic can actually be used.

Kalle wrote:I was reading some old White Dwarf from a time they had the Battle Companies campaign online and some GW guys where telling about the progress of their armies. They had mûmakils and war machines. This is not in the pdf Battle Companies rules. Was it probably something they had then, but was difficult to transform for the new rules? Not that we would need monsters and machines, there is plenty to play without them, but just curious.

Are you sure they were playing Battle Companies, and that this was not the "Tale of Four Gamers/Generals" they were doing with LOTR? As they then escalated their armies over a series of battles, but they did not do this within Battle Companies as far as I know..

PreviousNext
Return to House Rules