Battle Companies, December 2013

For all discussions on any new or revised rule mods for LOTR games.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Re: Battle Companies, December 2013

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:03 pm

"Are you sure they were playing Battle Companies, and that this was not the "Tale of Four Gamers/Generals" they were doing with LOTR? As they then escalated their armies over a series of battles, but they did not do this within Battle Companies as far as I know.."

Now I remember the "Tale of Four Gamers/Generals". It must have been that. Thank you for the answers.

Standard Bearer

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:27 am

WD had a Battle Hosts supplement that came in the issue (separate from the mag). In that issue there were several guys playing battle hosts (250 points start with escalation) on lunch breaks and keeping track of progress. They did a campaign with it as well. There was also showcases of the battle hosts those guys were playing qnd how they can incorporate them into larger games.
Later the War Hosts would come out for War of the ring and confuse everything as there were also Battle hosts released as a LOME supplement, and the new SBG rules would be made of small groups called War Bands and also Battle Companies would still be active... so it gets confusing with the systems within systems.

Since your Battle Company has a rating (points) you can use it in any SBG game without any problems. I have done it many times and still keep track of just the BC's xp they earn and gain gold/influence for playing the match (and winning if need be). I don't roll on wounds charts after as I expect with larger games that most everyone will be cleared from one side or pretty near when all is done, so it would be unfair to loose a BC that way, instead they heal up and are ready for whatever is next for them.
http://www.sithious.webs.com
"So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" \m/

Squire

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Finally we got around playing our Battle Companies:
I have Rohan and Erebor from the Good and Angmar and Corsairs from the Bad. My antagonist has Moria, Isengard, Gondor and Durins folk. We cast dice who is good and who's bad and which of the bands we are going to play. Great fun.

Some more questions:

- I assume the heroes fully recover their Might, Will and Fait between the games?

- I assume that when a warrior/hero gains experience points and uses them on advancement table he/she loses them and must earn more experience in the next game to "shop" some more qualities.
Example: my warrior of Rohan did well and earned 7 points of experience in a game. Then he used 5 points to roll a dice on a Warrior Advancement Table (and got nothing!). So he has 2 points left to use after the next game, maybe he gets lucky and gets another 5 points together?
Or does he keep all the 7 points, maybe earn 3 more in the next game and roll twice on the Advancement Table?
The rules say:
"No member of a Battle Company can have more than 105 Experience Points."
And no one can earn that much in a single game

-Are the points match scenarios from the sourcebooks ok for Battle Companies?
The ones with the Battle Companies supplement are great, but there are not so many in the long run.
If one makes own scenarios for the Battle Companies, is there some special things to keep in mind? Does anyone have experience on that?

Villager

Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:48 am

Kalle wrote:Finally we got around playing our Battle Companies:
I have Rohan and Erebor from the Good and Angmar and Corsairs from the Bad. My antagonist has Moria, Isengard, Gondor and Durins folk. We cast dice who is good and who's bad and which of the bands we are going to play. Great fun.

Yay, indeed great fun. Did you get to play as several of them, or did you focus on one Company each? Do you already prefer one over the other? :)

Kalle wrote:- I assume the heroes fully recover their Might, Will and Fait between the games?

Yup, they do.

Kalle wrote:- I assume that when a warrior/hero gains experience points and uses them on advancement table he/she loses them and must earn more experience in the next game to "shop" some more qualities.
Example: my warrior of Rohan did well and earned 7 points of experience in a game. Then he used 5 points to roll a dice on a Warrior Advancement Table (and got nothing!). So he has 2 points left to use after the next game, maybe he gets lucky and gets another 5 points together?
Or does he keep all the 7 points, maybe earn 3 more in the next game and roll twice on the Advancement Table?
The rules say:
"No member of a Battle Company can have more than 105 Experience Points."
And no one can earn that much in a single game

The experience never resets, and you will get to roll on the Hero Advancement Table each time you tally up a full 5 points. So to use your example: Your warrior did well and earned 7 points, and get to roll on the table. He still has 7 points of experience, but will not be able to roll again until he has earned at least 3 points in order to reach the minimum of 10 points, as this is the next full 5 points needed to roll. And this goes on and on (15, 20, 25, 30, 35 etc), until the maximum of 105 experience points!

Glad to see that you are having fun and enjoying Battle Companies, I like it very much as well :)

Squire

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:15 am

Thanks Tungdil.

We have just played one game yet (Rohan-Isengard), but will be surely playing more as soon we find time. Luckily the Battle Company games are faster to play too.
It is the smaller scale that is charming, to take care of your every warrior in a different way than in a big game (know them by name).
My rohirrim did fine by staying out of contact and using bows and throwing spears. The uruk-hai scouts are scary in combat, but I just kept shielding. This hit and run - passive fighting worked very well also psychologically on my uruk-hai opponent.

Previous
Return to House Rules