To set them apart...

For all discussions on any new or revised rule mods for LOTR games.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

To set them apart...

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:14 am

If there is anything I know about the Easterlings its that they have a distinct ability (phalanx) but no distinct troop type. However, there is Tolkien lore of a race of Dragons living in the far east of Middle earth called "were-worms", so... what if... it was/is possible to have a troop type called "Easterling Drake Riders"?

This is something that someone I know and I can agree would be a very Easterling thing to see in Middle-earth based settings. After all, their armor does look rather Dragon-like. So I propose a set of rules for them:

Rider: M=6", F=3/4+, S=3, D=6, A=1, W=1, C=3
Drake: M=10", F=6/5+, S=7, D=7, A=3, W=6, C=7

Rider wargear: sword, shield, and heavy armor
Drake wargear: fangs and talons

Special Rules: Fly, Terror (drake only)

Cost to field: 150 points per model

Cost for Easterling Captains, Dragon Knights, War Priests and Amdur to ride: 110 points

On final note, this may not be canon, but it easily balances by giving the Easterlings their own culturally exclusive troop type and is actually canon-compatible, unlike the other distinguishing idea I had in mind (musket-men and cannons)

Villager

Re: To set them apart...

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:48 am

I don't like the dragon riders idea too fantasy not Tolkien enough. I like the idea of a different Dragon from the east that makes sense. The Easterlings do have their own Culture. A fighting Culture and highly organised one.

Squire

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:16 pm

If you want more units for the Easterlings, I don't think this is the way to go. Employing Were-Worms to fight for them is already far-fetched enough, let alone having Easterlings ride them. If you want more units for the easterlings, and especially another monstrous Mount (besides the Khandish Chariots), then I recommend the Wainriders. They were large wagons with coverings that easterlings used against Gondor which operated as a sort of war cart that could carry lots of easterlings. I could imagine 10 or more fitting in them and shooting arrows out. The rules for this thing may be similar to the War Beast of Gorgoroth but it is a lot more fluffy (and realistic) than worm-riders

If you must have a Were-Worm, then at least make them without a rider. Maybe you could have the Easterlings manipulate it from the ground to force it to charge the enemy but I cant see them riding such a sporadic and slippery creature. Also, I don't think they fly. I could be wrong on this though

Warrior

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:40 pm

The easterlings in the wagon thing could jump out to claim objectives then use the wagon to transport them around the battle field.
Lust,Gulttony,Greed,Sloth,Wrath,Envy,Pride.

Return to House Rules