Numenorean Warriors - Alternate Rules

For all discussions on any new or revised rule mods for LOTR games.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Numenorean Warriors - Alternate Rules

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Here are my rules for Numenoreans, based off of what others have mentioned about them, and my research about them. They were pretty tough guys! And I wanted to express that here. Also, I made modified rules for Elendil and Isildur, as games workshop likes to give people weak stats because they made one mistake (less Will like Boromir, Isildur), or they died in the movie so they have low Fate (Elendil is a great example).

So, they might seem pretty high powered, but you can see in other conversations that alot of people were pretty much on the same page as me.

Also, I'm going to be converting Warriors of Minas Tirith into my better version of Numenoreans. That was one area that the movies were really lacking. But who can blame the movie makers, the film wasn't about Numenoreans!

A few notes, I haven't playtested these (yet), and I'm not sure about the Numenorean bows, they were supposed to be the most feared bows of the second age, so much so that orcs would be afraid to charge into battle against them, but I don't know if my little 3/4 move sacrifice is a good idea. Feedback please! They're like something between uruk-hai and Elves, I like a lot of their stats the way they are, but the points costs might need modification.
-Thanks!

So here you go:

Heroes of Numenor
Name: Amandil, Last Lord of Andúnië
F--- S D A W C M W F
6/4+ 4 7 2 3 6 2 3 3
Wargear:
Very Heavy Armour and Eket (Short Sword)

Options:
• Sword (Free)
• Horse (10pts)
• Numenorean Shield (10pts)
• Numenorean Axe (5pts)
Numenorean Shield, “Thangail!”
When a Numenorean with a shield has two other Numenoreans with Numenorean Shields on either side of him in base contact, and none of them have moved this turn, the player must declare “Thangail!” before the end of his move turn and the shield offers +2 defense instead of +1 until the end of the turn or the formation is broken. The formation is broken when the model or a model on either side of him is killed or becomes prone (moving the models slightly to separate out fights does NOT remove this effect).
Numenorean Axe
Counts an Elven Blade.

Name: Elendil the Tall
F--- S D A W C M W F
7/4+ 5 7 3 3 6 3 3 3
Wargear:
Very Heavy Armour and Narsil.

Options:
• Horse (10pts)
When a Numenorean with a shield has two other Numenoreans with Numenorean Shields on either side of him in base contact, and none of them have moved this turn, the player must declare “Thangail!” before the end of his move turn and the shield offers +2 defense instead of +1 until the end of the turn or the formation is broken. The formation is broken when the model or a model on either side of him is killed or becomes prone (moving the models slightly to separate out fights does NOT remove this effect).
Narsil
Elendil can fight a heroic combat in the Fight phase without expending Might.

Name: Isildur of Númenor
F--- S D A W C M W F
6/4+ 4 7 3 3 6 3 2 2
Wargear:
Heavy Armour and Eket (Short Sword).

Options:
• Sword (Free)
• Horse (10pts)
• Numenorean Axe (5pts)
Numenorean Axe
Counts as an Elven Blade.
The Ring

Name: Anarion of Númenor
F--- S D A W C M W F
6/4+ 4 7 2 2 6 2 2 2
Wargear:
Heavy Armour and Eket (Short Sword).

Options:
• Sword (Free)
• Numenorean Axe (5pts)
Numenorean Bow
Numenorean bows are made of hollow steel and were the most feared during the great wars of the Second Age. Counts as a Great Bow (Range 24” STR 4).
Numenorean Axe

Name: Numenorean Captain
F--- S D A W C M W F
5/4+ 4 7 2 2 5 2 1 1
Wargear:
Very Heavy Armour and Eket (Short Sword).

Options:
• Sword (Free)
• Spear (5pts)
• Horse (10pts)
• Numenorean Bow (15pts)
• Numenorean Axe (5pts)
Numenorean Bow
Numenorean bows are made of hollow steel and were the most feared during the great wars of the Second Age. Counts as a Great Bow (Range 24” STR 4).
Numenorean Axe

Warriors of Numenor
Name: Numenorean Scout
F--- S D A W C
4/3+ 4 4 1 1 4
Wargear:
Armour, Eket (Short Sword), and Numenorean Bow.

Options
• Horse (6pts)
Numenorean Bow
Numenorean bows are made of hollow steel and were the most feared during the great wars of the Second Age. Counts as a Great Bow (Range 24” STR 4), an archer must also sacrifice ¾ of his move rather than half.

Name: Numenorean Warrior
F--- S D A W C
5/4+ 4 6 1 1 4
Wargear:

Options
• Banner (25pts)
• Sword (free)
• Spear (1pt)
• Horse (6pts)
• Numenorean Shield (2pts)
• Numenorean Bow (3pts)
• Numenorean Axe (2pts)
Numenorean Bow
Numenorean bows are made of hollow steel and were the most feared during the great wars of the Second Age. Counts as a Great Bow (Range 24” STR 4), an archer must also sacrifice ¾ of his move rather than half.
Numenorean Axe

Name: Numenorean Knight
F--- S D A W C
6/4+ 4 7 2 1 5
Wargear:
Very Heavy Armour and Eket (Short Sword) and Numenorean Shield.

Options
• Banner (25pts)
• Sword (free)
• Horse (6pts)
• Spear (1pt)
• Numenorean Axe (2pts)
Numenorean Axe
Stand Fast!
Any warrior within 3” of a Knight benefits from his Courage Test as if he were a hero.

Villager

Re: Numenorean Warriors - Alternate Rules

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:06 pm

They look much more like they should, I like it !

Villager

Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:21 am

I love it! Especially the bows haha

Villager

Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:51 pm

I like these too. The high strength and fight seems legit, since numenoreans were very tall, medium height being 1,9 meters if I remember right and also well trained for war.

What was that other formation Isildur's troops used in the Tragedy of the Gladden fields? The more offensive one. Could it be added someway too?

Villager

Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:10 pm

These are pretty inventive...great work!
King of the North!!

Villager

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Jami wrote:I like these too. The high strength and fight seems legit, since numenoreans were very tall, medium height being 1,9 meters if I remember right and also well trained for war.

What was that other formation Isildur's troops used in the Tragedy of the Gladden fields? The more offensive one. Could it be added someway too?

Yeah, It's called Dirnaith, and that one is a wedge formation to be used against a force that isn't fully arrayed yet, I wasn't quite sure how to represent that in the rules. That could be opening a whole can of worms on potential formation rules. I tried to make it work but I wasn't sure how.

And to everyone else, Thanks! I was always annoyed with the rules they had for the Numenoreans. I've been working on some Numenorean warrior conversions out of Warriors of Minas tirith, so we'll see. Also, I think I'll make some evil rules, like for Ar-Pharazon and his ilk, and these rules might just be for The Faithful. It would be fun to make some evil Numenoreans, not necessarily the supernatural ones. Perhaps they could sacrifice an enemy warrior to morgoth for some sort of special bonus? :twisted: He he.

Villager

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:40 pm

It's been a while since I updated anything. Here are some new stats for evil: Evil warriors and captains have the same stats, only they are evil.

EVIL
Heroes of Numenor
Name: Ar-Pharazon the Golden
Fight S D A W C M W F
6/4+ 4 7 3 2 5 3 1 1
Wargear:

Options:
• Sword (Free)
• Horse (10pts)

Usurper
Once per move phase Ar-Pharazon may attempt to steal a point of might from an enemy hero within 3”. Have each character roll a die and add their current might store. If Ar-Pharazon’s roll is higher, he steals a point of might (for a maximum of 4), if Ar-Pharazon’s roll is lower, he fails to do so and instead loses a point of might. Heroes who have one point of might per turn count their might score as being 1 higher than noted.

Pride
If Ar-Pharazon is down to 1 wound or 0 fate, he must pass a courage test to avoid moving towards/charging the most expensive enemy hero.

Terror
The glory of Ar-Pharazon is so great, that if he has at least 6 Numenorean warriors within 6” of him, he causes terror.

Name: Priest of Melkor
Fight S D A W C M W F
4/4+ 4 4 1 2 5 1 3 1
Wargear:
Eket (Short Sword).

Options:
• Armor (5pts)

Spells:
Fury 6” 3+
Bladewrath 6” 3+
Select a single friendly Hero within range (this can be the Priest of Melkor). The Priest of Melkor channels his rage, causing a weapon to gleam dark red with molten power. Any blows the chosen model strikes in combat this turn are resolved at strength 6.

Special rule:
Sacrifice a good Warrior (Edited and Simplified 11-21-2014)
1: Capture
A solitary good warrior (with no supporting spearmen) must be beaten in a fight by 2 or more evil warriors. The evil warriors suffer a -1 penalty to die rolls to win. Instead of making strikes, a strength test must be made. Roll a d6 for good and for evil. Add the strength of the good to the good die and add the lowest strength of the evil warriors +1 for each warrior more than one (to a maximum of +3). If evil is higher, then the good warrior is captured. If good is higher, he merely loses the fight and is not captured, but evil still cannot make strikes.
2: Take to the Priest of Melkor
The evil warriors must carry the good warrior into base contact of the Priest of Melkor. If they are charged they must drop the good warrior/hero who must stay prone until the end of that turn.Once they are in base contact, the good warrior may make one final strength test just like the previously explained one, except you add 1 more to the warriors of evil (for the Priest). If evil is higher, then the Priest kills the captive. If good is higher, he breaks free. Might may be used to effect this die roll. Fate may also be used to save from being killed.
3: Result
If the captive fails to escape, and the priest sacrifices the captive, the priest may cast a spell (a spell check is still required, but no will is expended) or gain the special rule Terror until the Priest loses a fight. If the captive is a hero, then no dice roll is required to cast the spell, or the special rule Terror lasts until the end of the game.

Name: Sauron the Fair
Fight S D A W C M W F
9/4+ 8 8 3 5 7 3 6+ 1

Same stats as The Dark Lord Sauron, except for these changes:
Pts. 345
Cannot pick the one ring.
He does not have the special rule Terror, nor Unstoppable.

Emnity for Numenor
Sauron the Fair cannot benefit from Heroic Actions, Spells, or Stand Fast! tests of Numenoreans. He hates them too much. Though Numenoreans may benefit from his Heroic Actions, Spells, or Stand Fast! tests. The only exception to this rule is when a Priest of Melkor offers a sacrifice, and he may only benefit from the bonus might points.
Last edited by Ainuturis on Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Squire

Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:14 pm

Enjoyable and useful stuff!

Except the sacrificing-special rule feels a bit complicated - not to understand, but to do in the game - if the priest only gains a possibility to cast a spell or gets Terror, he may loose by losing a fight.

Villager

Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:36 pm

I was thinking of a way to make that work better. Perhaps they just have to act as if they kill the warrior (we'll say he's knocked out), and he only gets 1 chance at escape. I dunno. Tricky. I'll have to think about how to simplify that, any suggestions? Or maybe he automatically casts it or gains terror and doesn't have to perform a die roll, if it's that hard to capture an enemy warrior (even if I make it simpler), maybe he needs a better bonus. I'm going to be playtesting these rules soon.

Squire

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:37 am

How about making the capturing simpler:

-Any number of evil warriors can try to capture a good warrior/hero.
-They have -1 penalty in the duel rolls.
-If they win they don't strike, but the good warrior/hero becomes a heavy object; If there is several evil warriors it is easier both to win and to carry the enemy.
-if they are charged they must drop the good warrior/hero who must stay prone till the end of that turn.
-once they reach the priest the warrior/hero may try to break free by a strenght test.

Gains from the sacrifice

-the priest gets the terror special rule
-Sauron gets one might point per warrior, two per hero, this can make his might-store go beyond the original profile;
This would have some primitive religous logic; you sacrifice your enemies to make your god mightier. And would suite Saurons plans to corrupt the numenorians, turning them against each other and the way of Valar.

Next
Return to House Rules