How balanced are the Hobbit Scenarios?

For all discussions on any new or revised rule mods for LOTR games.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Standard Bearer

How balanced are the Hobbit Scenarios?

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:15 am

I don't really want to pay a lot of money just to get the scenarios from the book. I was wondering if they were balanced and how people liked the scenarios. If there were any scenarios not up to scratch, has anybody made their own scenarios for the hobbit films?

Villager

Re: How balanced are the Hobbit Scenarios?

Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:36 pm

I've played several of the Hobbit scenarios and they aren't great. As pessimistic as this sounds, I think they are designed to encourage spending. One of the scenarios from The Desolation of Smaug source book would require hundreds of pounds to play. My main issue though is they don't really represent the battles as seen in the films (which may not really be GW's fault with all of the late film alterations).

I've been working my way through all of the LOTR scenarios to make them more in keeping with the films and I've written out all of those I've altered (which is all of Fellowship up to now). When I've completed them I'll play them all through from start to finish to see how they play as a whole the I'll upload a link to them in case anyone wants to have a go themselves. I'll do the same for the Hobbit too once all the miniatures have been released, if that ever happens!

Standard Bearer

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:25 pm

OK, can I see the link? I mean most of the LOTR scenarios are balanced, but they are the odd exceptions. How would you alter the scenarios to become a better representation of the film/book?

Villager

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:59 pm

I've really gone down the film route so I've made most of the scenarios reflect them if they didn't already. I've removed a lot of those from the source book that don't appear in the film (e.g. Gandalf at Weathertop, the warg attack etc.) I've tweaked a few (like those in the Mines of Moria) and altered some significantly (like the Flight to the Ford). I'll hopefully upload a link once I've got them all sorted and I'm pleased with how they work together as a whole. I may adapt the campaign rules so they flow better and there's more tension with Might points, Wounds etc.

Also, on a separate note, because you seem to have your finger on the pulse, do you know what GWs plans are for the Hobbit range? I've emailed them but got a few cagey responses back where they won't commit to anything. One email said they don't know when they'll release the next miniatures and they suggest I check in WD or on the website which was a bit annoying!

Standard Bearer

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:40 pm

I don't really know, I guess I could ask my local GW. I imagine that the next releases are going to come out when the film does. The last film was supposed to be out this summer, but when they delayed it then I guess GW had to delay their releases too.

Return to House Rules