Proper Dwarf Cavalry

For all discussions on any new or revised rule mods for LOTR games.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Proper Dwarf Cavalry

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:49 am

Now that it seems we are going to have dwarf cavalry riding giant rams, I thought I'll share an idea for dwarf cavalry I have had a few years now.

Now then, the proper dwarf steed is a pony:
-They are not good steeds for war, but rather for transportation. The old pony rules reflected that well, so let's put it in as a special rule
-They are small, so carrying an lightly armored dwarf is more than enough for them; no dwarf armor for riders.
-Dwarves in general are not expert archers, so no horse archery

So, that could lead to the profile like this:

Dwarf Pony Rider

Cost: 9 pt
Stats: as per Dwarf Ranger
Options:
-Dwarf longbow 3 points
-Throwing axes 3 points
-Two-handed weapon 1 point

Special rules:
Timid Creature: Dwarves mounted on ponies never receive any bonuses for charging. In fact, the ponies are unused to war and inclined to shy away from weapons, and so a model mounted on a pony must take a Courage test to charge any enemy, exactly as if the enemy caused terror.
Bumpy Ride: Dwarves mounted on ponies cannot make shooting attacks.

Basically a Dwarf Ranger with an 2 pt upgrade for pony. That could give the dwarves the mobility to transport some of their ranged units (or just a handful of not-so-tough infantry) to the enemy flanks. They have an increased charge range, too, but it will fail occasionally, and won't give the charge bonuses. The pony infantry could be maybe used to counter other cavalry forces, too.

So what do you think?

Site Admin

Re: Proper Dwarf Cavalry

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:03 pm

It's not a bad idea, but as far as I know even Hobbit ponies get charge bonuses. Would you not prefer to have it cost a little more and give you the same benefits?

Villager

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Yes, in the current rules the ponies get the same charge bonuses as horses (that's why I put the old rules as special rules). I thought the ponies are probably quite rare in the game, so I could use the old pony rules (from the One Rulebook) without too much hassle. In my opinion they give the dwarf cavalry the disadvantage they deserve, and with a cost of only 2 points make moving and dismounting a viable option - something that no other cavalry does.

But yes, it would be probably more streamlined and logical to just use the ponies as they currently are in the rules. How about 4 points for better ponies, making the raider cost 11 points?

Site Admin

Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:49 am

That sounds reasonable to me.
I understand what you were trying to acheive, but sooner or later someone would have to ask why a teeny hobbit on a pony knocks their men down, and a heavily armoured dwarf on one doesn't :D

Return to House Rules