My honest take on Numenor

For all discussions on any new or revised rule mods for LOTR games.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

My honest take on Numenor

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi guys,

Here is my attempt at some slightly modified profiles for Numenor. People have been crying out to give these guys a little bit of love, and as much as we want to go all politically correct and completely change them to be as good as they are in the books, it would be better to tweak just a bit so we can use them for fun.

Update to Numenorean warriors:
The bow would be changed to a Longbow (24", S3). This is to go with the books and with the fact GW have included it in the citadel guard profile. This costs 2 points.

Let me know what you think about this profile for Anarion. Wanted something just a little special but not as good as Isildur and Elendil.

F S D A W C .. M /W /F Pts: 90
6 4 7 .2 .2 .6 ... 3 /1/1
Special rules:
Blade of Westernesse:
Anarion may re-roll failed To Wound rolls.

Wargear:
Very Heavy Armour, Blade of Westernesse
Horse (10pts) and shield (5pts)

Knights of Numenor:
F S D A W C Pts: 16
4 3 6 1 1 3
Wargear: Heavy Armour, Shield, Horse, Warspear, Sword
Special Rules:
For the King!:
Any Knight of Numenor within 3" of Elendil, Isildur, Anarion or a King of Men treats them as a banner.
(Note I'm not 100% on these guys, i want them as an option, not as a must choose warrior. They are +2 points on the Easterling Kataphract, the most expensive and similar cavalry in the game. They are -2 points on the SKoDA, who have the massive 12" banner and extra courage, they are also -1 point to the Mahud Raiders who get the War Camels, so i think the KoN are not leniently priced at all.)

Army wide upgrades: Any army containing Elendil, Isildur, Anarion or a King of Men can (each?) upgrade 1 warband of Knights of Numenor to Royal Guard of Numenor at +2 points. They gain Bodyguard (Numenor) and Strength 4. (I would like to add the +1 FV too but just can't justify that many additions).

Alternatively, they would have the following profile:
Royal Guard of Numenor
F S D A W C Pts: 10
4 4 6 1 1 3

Wargear:
Very Heavy Armour, Sword, Shield, War Spear
Horse (6pts)

Special Rules:
Bodyguard (Numenor)
For the King!:
Any Knight of Numenor within 3" of Elendil, Isildur, Anarion or a King of Men treats them as a banner.

Perhaps the RGoN can have a Royal Banner of Numenor for 30 pts - the same thing as a regular banner plus the +1 FV to all RGoN within 3"/6". What do you think?

I think it leaves the regular troops as they are, with the slight buff to the bows, and gives the option for them to have a cavalry which packs a punch and gives the army a bit of mobility and different tactical options.

Site Admin

Re: My honest take on Numenor

Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:51 pm

Knights of Numenor:
F S D A W C Pts: 16
4 3 6 1 1 3
Wargear: Heavy Armour, Shield, Horse, Warspear, Sword
Special Rules:
For the King!: Any Knight of Numenor within 3" of Elendil, Isildur, Anarion or a King of Men treats them as a banner.
(Note I'm not 100% on these guys, i want them as an option, not as a must choose warrior. They are +2 points on the Easterling Kataphract, the most expensive and similar cavalry in the game. They are -2 points on the SKoDA, who have the massive 12" banner and extra courage, they are also -1 point to the Mahud Raiders who get the War Camels, so i think the KoN are not leniently priced at all.)

I think that's a well thought out profile, I'd be happy to play against it or use it.

It's a bit of a shame GW didn't push this army's range further - maybe they are waiting for Jackson to start the 72 film Similarion series :D

Squire

Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:02 am

Thanks Matt, good to know.

Why make a 72mm Sil range when you can make a 72mm Space Marine range, right? ;)

That is true, it is disappointing. The race/lineage with the most text in the whole of Middle Earth, and they get 5-6 different models...

Site Admin

Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:57 am

A local player is making a fantastic looking Arnor/Numenor army. It uses allies to get access to existing profiles, so it's all tournament legal, but it looks amazing.
I'll try find some photos later.

Squire

Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:26 am

I've seen the photos, but others might like to see them too.

Would prefer not to have to trade in units.
Anyway, i basically made the profile on those profiles available to ally in then tweaked it to be a little unique.

Return to House Rules