Maelstorm's Edge Kickstarter (Sci-fi)

For all discussions regarding Privateer Press, Mantic etc, including GW's other systems.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Villager

Maelstorm's Edge Kickstarter (Sci-fi)

Tue May 05, 2015 11:23 pm

(I posted this earlier at the One Ring UK and thought I would share it here)
They just revamped the whole core set by more than quadrupling the minis! They look sweet and have multiple pose and weapon options. If you got tired 40K's unrealistic models at crazy prices (and finecast) but still love sci-fi, then this is your game! For only $90.00 you get 38 detailed and high quality plastic models and much more. They said that 2 cores will get you about every model option so that's what I am in for.

Support their games launch at Kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/me ... escription

And here is the website.

http://www.maelstromsedge.com/medge/

PS: They said that 5 factions are in development, and their will be aliens!
"You know,Po-ta-toes! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!"

Site Admin

Re: Maelstorm's Edge Kickstarter (Sci-fi)

Tue May 12, 2015 3:10 am

Thanks for posting, in fact I did an article about their new game for 3++ a few days ago.

Gamers get Creative: Dakka Dakka’s New Game – Maelstrom’s Edge
Written on May 8th, 2015 by Matt-Shadowlord
http://www.3plusplus.net/2015/05/gamers ... roms-edge/

Some of our readers may already know this, but for those in the dark Dakka Dakka, the juggernaut of 40K and table top gaming forums, recently announced that they will be getting off the sidelines of commenting, discussing and posting about games, and throwing their hat into the ring by launching their own tabletop Sci-Fi game: Maelstrom's Edge.

I was initially a bit skeptical about this idea, especially since the marketplace is increasingly crowded with new modelling companies and flash-in-the-pan gaming start ups, but after spending a bit more time reading their background, looking at their team and reviewing their progress I think they could be on to sometime, and can do nothing but wish them luck.

The background story is both fresh and familiar (it starts with 'In the far future, a golden age of exploration and progress has been shattered' which is almost an homage to 40K), but what I like is the way the rules sound. They appear to blend much of what we love about 40K, with things like enhanced cover and directional facing (based on the squad's leader – which is simple and clever), and then layer in some of the Suppression rules that continue to make Epic:Armageddon such a terrific game.

I haven't played it, so can't review it, but he's some blurb from the team and pictures of what look like good quality models.

“It is with great pleasure that I can at long last announce that Dakka has been working on a world class game and it is now available on Kickstarter – Maelstrom's Edge

Yakface, legoburner and a team of 6 others have been working on this project for over 3 years. We have injection moulded plastic models finished and ready to show, with tournament quality rules written by Jon Regul (yakface). It is a squad-based skirmish game (about 20-30 models per side), and every model is multi-part and multi-pose, so there is massive potential for easy conversions and part swaps.

Maelstrom's Edge is a far future science fiction setting where a golden age of exploration and innovation has been ripped apart and humanity is on the very edge of annihilation. The Maelstrom, a gigantic apocalyptic explosion of dark energy, is rapidly expanding out from the heart of the galaxy, destroying everything it touches. As worlds and stars are obliterated from existence, those who have the means flee towards deep space, while those left behind fight for the chance to escape.

We already have two novels available now so that you can start enjoying the universe in great depth immediately. We'll have limited edition first print copies of the novels available for purchase at Salute in London at stand TE05 on Saturday 25th April, and a short story compilation is due to be released in the very near future too. We've got some big names working on the fiction over the coming year and the background story is the cornerstone of Maelstrom's Edge.

Please visit our Kickstarter Page to learn more, and help support Dakka, and help support the birth of the Maelstrom's Edge tabletop game and universe!”

Here's what they are selling on Kickstarter (please note this isn't a sponsored feature or anything like that – I just think gamers should tell gamers when gamers make games :)

Kick Starter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/me ... ures-warga

It takes a certain type of courage to start something new, and whatever else you think of their new product I hope we can all agree that it is admirable when someone puts their money where the mouth is.

Good luck to everyone working on Maelstrom's Edge. And quite selfishly, I hope this is a great new wargame.

40K could use a bit of competition :D

Return to Other Wargames