hobbit getting no support

For general discussions on the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game and its expansions.

Moderators: Rangers, Leaders

Squire

Re: hobbit getting no support

Sun May 26, 2013 2:43 pm

We got a brilliant new releases this month: NOTHING.
Not the great goblin, the big goblin
Take a look at my W.I.P tread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7616&p=81441#p81441

Villager

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:20 am

I have noticed that in my GW there are events for Fantasy and 40k, but there was only one Hobbit event and that was the release event.

I'm glad it's at least getting support though, they didn't just drop the license all together which is nice, but it still would be good to see GW not treat The Hobbit like a redheaded step child.

I do love the new models they are putting out though, they look pretty amazing.

If I take the plunge and jump into The Hobbit then I think I'll try and get some type of event going for it, sadly part of the problem is there just isn't a huge amount of support in my area for this game, if an event isn't going to have at least 10 sign ups some people feel like it's less worthwhile to hold.

Edit:

Newbies who'll dump a few hundred pounds into an army (and a small army at that), paint a handful of their models, playing for a few months or years, and then most of them will likely lose interest and quit the game altogether within a few years...

Honestly, I get where some of your resentment is coming from but I don't really like the attitude that goes with it. I'm one of the people you talk about, I've thrown a few hundred dollars into Warhammer (About 1750 Points of Empire and 1000 of Wood Elves) and I plan on quitting after a few years and selling my stuff on eBay, I don't get how there's a problem with that.

I'm spending my money and enjoying the time that I get out of it, I like the people I've met and play with and I like working on models when the urge hits me, but I'm not going to always have the time to play. If somebody keeps playing for years, that's great, but I don't see how a person who decides they want to get into the hobby for 2-3 years and then get out of it is a bad thing, it's like saying if I buy an PS4 /Xbox and only play it for a year, then there's something wrong with that.

I might have misunderstood your statement, and I fully understand why you would be mad at GW focusing on new players rather than supporting their current community, but it just felt like it was a slight at both the player and GW, I'm not mad or offended so I hope you don't think that, I just disagreed with what I think you said.

Standard Bearer

Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:00 pm

I was referring to people who treat it as a fad, they get a few models play for a short while but quickly lose interest.

Like my own brother. He spent £50 of his own money on Rohirrim and Uruk Hai. 24 Rohan Warriors, 6 Rohan Riders, mounted Eomer, 20 Uruk Hai Warriors and Lurtz. Within a month, I'd painted ALL of the models for him (he didn't want to), we played just 4 games in total...and then he quit. He NEVER took any interest in the game again.

Years later I sold his models for £25. I suppose I made a nice profit out of it, but still it would have nice to have someone at home to play the game with.

Warrior

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:44 am

Eldarion Telcontar wrote:Like my own brother. He spent £50 of his own money on Rohirrim and Uruk Hai. 24 Rohan Warriors, 6 Rohan Riders, mounted Eomer, 20 Uruk Hai Warriors and Lurtz. Within a month, I'd painted ALL of the models for him (he didn't want to), we played just 4 games in total...and then he quit. He NEVER took any interest in the game again.

Years later I sold his models for £25. I suppose I made a nice profit out of it, but still it would have nice to have someone at home to play the game with.

I completely understand that my brother has lost a lot of interesting in the game, and thorough the years touches them less and less. :(
Who ever said swimming was easier then running never swam a 400 I.M.

Proud swimmer and athlete for Queen's University of Charlotte

Villager

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:27 am

Eldarion Telcontar wrote:I was referring to people who treat it as a fad, they get a few models play for a short while but quickly lose interest.

Apologies for the misunderstanding then, I could definitely see that as frustrating and oddly enough I'm in a similar situation with my girlfriend. She wants to play Warhammer, but wants me to buy/build/paint the army, which I don't mind too much but it's easy to tell that she doesn't have a real interest in the game.

Ahh I think I've de-railed this thread enough :oops:

Standard Bearer

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:05 am

Knife in the Dark wrote:I completely understand that my brother has lost a lot of interesting in the game, and thorough the years touches them less and less. :(

Well, I have too. Havn't played 40K for two years (Uni got in the way), and havn't played LOTR for a year (Uni again). I also don't have anyone local to play with - if I want to play some games, I have to hop on a bus and train for a 30 or 45 min journey to another town. Its a long walk to my train station, then its a long walk from the destination to my gaming club/GW store. Sometimes I just can't be arsed.

But I still paint models fairly regularly and I bought some rulebooks for SAGA a couple weeks ago.

Squire

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:51 am

Before you know it most of us will be buying all our stuff on eBay.I think GW made a mistake on brining in high priced hobbit minitures.Plus as de krimson Barun seid they give us no support. :|
Check out my scenic base thread- viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7305&start=10

Standard Bearer

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:42 am

GW was always high priced. £8 for a metal Hero figure. Compare that to a company like Gripping Beast, who offer single character figures in metal for just £2-£4. But in recent years, GW has gone from expensive but good quality premium miniatures, to obscenely over priced miniatures of dubious and inconsistent quality (Failcast).

Squire

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Eldarion Telcontar wrote:Not if GW's bottom line is unaffected. Want to influence and pressure GW? Then stop buying from them altogether. Don't get their paints, don't get their models and rulebooks, don't get their tape measures and dice. Stop visiting their stores. Use alternative miniatures, such as historical Anglo Saxon and Vikings for Rohirrim and Dunlendings. Stop attending their tournamenn and only then will they take notice. Sending them a letter expressing your disgust with their prices one week, then ordering some of the new Hobbit releases the next week because they're cool and the movie is awesome will have zero effect.

Errrr..So without books and minis explain how we play the game?I can live without their tape,dice and tournaments but the rest of the stuff..
IZ A ORK.DAT MEANS IZ STOMPIER KILLIER AND BETTER DEN YOU RUNTZ.WAAAAAAAAA......................GGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Standard Bearer

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:32 pm

da krimson barun wrote:Errrr..So without books and minis explain how we play the game?I can live without their tape,dice and tournaments but the rest of the stuff..

You don't. Thats the point, genius.

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussions